Chapter 1

Two years. Two years it has been since that fateful accident and the three friends have drifted apart. In fact, neither Namjoon nor Hoseok know where Taehyung has gone off to or what has become of him.

'I really want to move out, see some place new', he'd told Hoseok.

'I don't know what happened! I just couldn't control myself! Hyung, believe me...' He'd told Namjoon.

'You couldn't control yourself?'

'I mean my powers. It's too strong.'

Taehyung had looked at him sternly as if he was trying to make Namjoon believe him by intense eye contact somehow.

'But that's dangerous. If you can't control your powers anymore... You read the news, didn't you? Taehyung, you-'

'Yes, I know.' 

His young friend had dismissed the subject immediately and diverted his attention to the ground.

'Don't blame it all on yourself... It wasn't your intention.'

The consolation had been more awkward than comforting and soon an  uncomfortable silence filled the living room. 

Since the day of that tragic accident Taehyung had barely showed his face to Hoseok or Namjoon. It was difficult for him to digest what he had done and the other two didn't know how to confront him about it either.

Namjoon studied his former best friend, whose shoulders were slumped and his head hung low. 

Sympathy found a home in Namjoon's heart like regret in Taehyung's, but he wasn't planning on beating around the bush.

'If you can't control your ability, then you should leave the city.'

'Yeah, I knew you'd say that', his lost friend softly concluded after a beat of silence.

'I don't want to make it sound like you're unwanted, but there's no escape from this power, you know. You can get caught if this goes on.'

'Hyung, it's fine. I've been thinking about it too. Seoul is not my city anymore.'

There was no feeling in Tae's voice. If there had been any sadness, he'd washed it away days ago. Perhaps he'd played similar conversations many times in his head before, Namjoon thought. The thought depressed him.

They sat still like they were deep in thought, as if they were both reminiscing a death: the coming death of their friendship.

'Well then, I'm going. Bye.'

'Now?' Namjoon had to regain himself from his friend's sudden movement. He stood up quickly after him and followed him to the door.

Tae gave him a quick, friendly hug. It was the last time they'd be friendly with each other.

'No, soon. Take care of yourself.'

Later that night, Namjoon realised that Tae had planned his departure a lot earlier before he'd spoken of it.

It's a peaceful day in Seoul as a young, aspiring male jolts down some lyrics in his notebook. He sighs and stirs in his dark coffee as the rest of the customers in the café talk over his thoughts.

There's a small smart-TV showing the news from high up in the corner of the café, but Namjoon only half listens. Petty crimes, bad weather and political affairs go in his one ear and leave the other. The only time the news catches his eye is when it starts to go quiet in the area.