Old Friend

(Brian's pov)

"Jared?"

The man grinned at Levi, a spark of recognition in his dark eyes.

"Long time no see, kid."

I glanced at Levi in confusion. He knew this guy? How?

The man who was apparently named Jared took a step forward, dead leaves and branches cracking underneath his feet.

"I knew that if I made enough noise, they would send one of you to investigate... I just never thought that it would be you, Levi. What a turn of events."

He glanced at me, disapproval filling his eyes.

"And I see you made a friend. Wonderful."

Jared turned his attention back to Levi, who looked like he just saw a ghost. Maybe he did, because he seemed pretty surprised to see this guy. Was he supposed to be dead?

"So now that I have your attention, I was wondering if I could ask for your help with something."

Levi's expression darkened, and he glared daggers at the man standing at the other side of the clearing.

"What is it then, Jared? It must be pretty damn important if you feel that you need to kill innocent people to get our attention, when you could've just broken into any Apple Store and access the info on the iGuards in this area."

The man smiled at Levi, remorse filling his caramel eyes.

"Oh Levi, a rouge agent just can't walk into his old base! You see, this was necessary, because it's much easier to kill an iGuard and take their programming in the middle of a giant forest, where I could hide the remains of your corpses where they could never be found, then waltzing up to your house and attempting to murder."

Jared sighed, and raised his hand towards us, releasing a single reluctant wire, about as thick as a bungee chord, which snaked towards us.

"But I can't exactly kill an old friend and take his programming, can I? So I'm going to make a deal with you."

The wire paused in front of Levi's dangling hand, hovering in the air like the head of a cobra ready to strike.

Jared looked at he ground.

"Will you help me stop the iGuards program?"

I stared at the man in shock. Stop the iGuards program? That's impossible...

Levi raised an eyebrow.

"Ok, so you want to destroy a program that's benefitting everyone? This technology has been drastically lowering crime, helping us win wars. This program is helping the world, why on Earth would you want to destroy it?"

Jared glanced up at Levi, pity and sadness filling his eyes.

"You know another thing the iGuards program does? They reduce the population count."

Jared started trembling.

"They tear apart lives and emotions and make soldiers out of children, adults, anyone they can find."

Levi stared back at Jared with a blank look in his eyes.

"You're lying. We agreed to do this, this is what we want."

Jared shook his head, still slightly trembling with anger.

"No. It's what they want."

The hovering wire slowly winded back into Jared's open palm, seamlessly sinking into his flesh.

"Well, I guess that you're still a lost cause, same as ever."

Jared turned, and started walking back into the forest, back facing us.

"Don't worry, Levi, I'm leaving this forest. I won't harm another hair on any poor tourist's head. Your job is finished. You can tell your 'employers' that it was a rouge agent."

Jared halted.

"But, can you leave my name out? Y'know, for old times sake?"

He then continued to walk forward, crushing leaves and branches in his wake. he disappeared into the darkness of the trail.