6 - Decryption

December 7, 2404
09:00

The sun was up, shining brightly. Tony and I were walking around Sunset City, not having a particular goal in mind.

"We should get to know each other better," Tony said. "How old are you, anyway?"

"Fourteen, I believe," I responded. "For the longest time, I thought I was six. Probably had something to do with the Institute replacing my IDM."

"Sounds about right. I'm sixteen, by the way. I could tell you more about myself. I just don't remember anything at all. All I know is that I've been riding alone for four months while spending a lot of time hanging around in the Institute."

I nodded my head slowly. "Not much I can remember either, except for the night that I was allegedly attacked."

Tony looked like he was thinking about something. "If you were attacked, wouldn't you be able to find out who did it?"

I shrugged. "I really don't know. My mentor told me that I could figure it out because I know who did it."

"Who did it?"

"I don't know," I said, throwing my arms up. "He told me that the information is inside of my head. Supposedly encrypted."

"Who's your mentor?"

"Brandon. Brandon Beckham."

"We need to get you decrypted, then. Does he know how to do that?"

I shook my head. "No, I don't think so."

"I think my mentor knows how," Tony said. "His name is Jason Clarke."

I felt a wave of relief. "He can help me?"

"Maybe. It wouldn't hurt to try."

-----

December 7, 2404
10:30

"Well, M-263, I'm glad you brought this to my attention," Jason said. He was a little bit on the older side, his hair somewhat gray but mostly black. He was tall and wore glasses. "Decryption is a quick process. We can get it done quickly." He looked at me. "Remind me your name again, young woman?"

"I'm F-404." I replied.

"404... I reckon you know Brandon Beckham, then?"

I nodded. "Yes, he's my mentor."

"He's a good kid. Smart, too. We hired him at sixteen years old. He's been working here for three years now." Jason held my arm up and connected me to a computer. "Alright, let's get started. Lay down on that bed over there." He pointed to a white bed as I walked over to it. Tony remained seated.

I laid down on the bed and relaxed. Jason cleared his throat and began talking. "I found the encrypted code in your IDM. In order for this to be a simple and clean process, please keep your brain activity as low as possible by eliminating negative thoughts."

"Okay," I said quietly.

"Decryption process initiated. ETA... Four minutes and thirty-six seconds."

I closed my eyes and began to relax. Finding the person who attacked me would make everything so much easier for me. I wouldn't have to worry about much.

"Three minutes and fifty-nine seconds," Jason said. He stood up from his chair and looked over at me. "How are you feeling so far?"

"Great," I responded.

"Good to hear. After this, you should-" Jason was interrupted by someone opening the door rather forcefully.

"Clarke, you've gotta come see this." It was Brandon.

"Beckham, what on earth are you doing? I'm in the middle of a decryption!"

"It's urgent, I'm serious. There's conflict in the main lobby."

"What?" Jason said, abruptly. "M-263, please keep an eye on her. When the decryption is over, just carefully remove her from the computer. I'll be right back."

"Come on!" Brandon shouted. Jason followed him. The door shut behind them.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"I'm not sure," Tony said, slowly. "Just relax. I'm sure everything is fine-"

"Attention all Institute members," a voice on the intercom spoke. "This is an urgent notice. Please report to the main lobby immediately. I repeat, report to the main lobby immediately. Please stop what you are doing and evacuate the top floors of the building. It is imperative that you do this."

I stood up. "Do... do we go?"

"No, no. Stay. You have ten percent left."

My heart rate rose, and I became worried. Why do they want everyone on the main floor?

"This is a mandatory announcement. Everyone must descend to ground level immediately."

"Tony, we need to go!" I shouted.

"Relax, you're gonna mess up your decryption! Twenty seconds left!"

I couldn't relax. Throughout the time I've been at the Institute, they've never pushed an announcement this important.

"Done!" Tony shouted. He ran over to me and helped me unhook the cables attached to me. "I'll grab the flash drive! Start running!" He quickly grabbed the drive with my decrypted files on it, then followed me out the door. I ran to the elevator and pushed the button as fast as I could.

"Come on, come on!" I yelled. I looked through the window to the right of me. I squinted and stopped in shock. "We need to take the stairs! That's a missile headed directly toward us!"

We quickly shuffled down the stairs, only to realize it was too late.

"AMIELLE, GET DOWN!" Tony shouted loudly over the loud noise of the explosive projectile heading toward the Institute. I dove to the floor and hid under a large shelf. Tony covered his head.

The missile hit the building with a deafening explosion. Glass shards scattered everywhere, debris fell from the walls and caught fire. The roof came crashing down in front of us. I was unharmed, but my ears were ringing very loudly. I stood up, panting.

"Tony?" I said, not being able to hear myself clearly. He stood up, unharmed.

"We're boxed in!" Tony exclaimed.

I quickly started thinking of ways we could get out. Just then, Tony cursed under his breath and pointed out another missile, this time, headed directly toward us.

"That building right there!" Tony continued. "It's very close. If we jump to it, we'll be safe."

"No way!" I replied. "I can't make that jump!"

"Would you rather die or die trying?" He looked at me seriously. "Come on!" Looking at the building, he stepped back, got a running start, and leaped through the shattered window. He safely landed on the adjacent building next to us. I stepped forward. The jump was massive. I am a lot smaller than Tony, so I was having several doubts about this jump.

"You can do it!" Tony shouted from across the building. "Take the leap! Just like you were meant to do in life! This isn't where it ends for you. Your life has just begun! Take the jump, and let your life go on!"

I took a deep breath, hearing the missile get closer to me. I closed my eyes and took several steps back. Taking another breath, I opened my eyes and bolted off, jumping. I flailed my arms in the air and grabbed on the side of the building. The jump wasn't close enough, but I barely caught on. Tony grabbed my arm and pulled me up. "Now run!" he shouted.

We ran across the roof of the building. It was very large and there was plenty of distance to run to get away from the projectile that was aimed at the Institute.

"Cover your ears!" Tony exclaimed. I covered my ears, ducked, and closed my eyes. I could hear the faint sound of the explosion. Opening my eyes. I looked at the Institute, which was now in flames. The entire top half of the building was destroyed. I could see people coming out of the building.

"What will we do without the Institute?" I asked, facing Tony.

Tony looked at the floor and crossed his arms. "Time will tell, my friend." He looked at me. "Time will tell."