Black Eyes

A tale of once upon a time when in land of Faondra; one fine day of winter strange things happened: a child lay in a basket wailing loudly, a mother died in the dark dungeons, a husband was killed in his slumber and a queen rose with her dark wings aspread.

To all the merry men and women, who are named Faondrazians, I promise to bring this place prosperity and happiness; she stood in the public balcony facing the people of Faondra, wearing nothing but gray colours. She spread her hands wide open, her green eyes speaking her avengeful happiness; Today my dream has come true – I am the Queen of Faondra atlast; she thought.

I will bring my rule with all my power for your welfare – my dear folks... and so the queen spoke her hollow promises and false hopes; and everyone was aware of that.

It was well rumoured among the folks of Faondra that when clock ticks twelve and the darkness pitches over the city, the Dark Queen rises up from her cold bed and walks to the four walls and talks to them. And so, that night too she walked there in silence and talked to the red bricks entering in them by passing through one.

I did – as you said my walls. I killed the king in his deep slumber. You were right – I am the Queen now, the rightful ruler of the kingdom; the Dark Queen laughed happily.

Very good – My Queen, we all wish you your rightful kingdom. Now you may enjoy it forever and use your powers to hold this kingdom together; four voices said in unison; they were the voices of the walls.

Yes, to hold this kingdom is going to be a bit tricky. Had you heard the four families leaving this city already – Huh! I tell you what I did on learning that. I casted a spell – an invisible gate, through which no Faondrazian could leave but folks of other places traders and my people both; the Dark Queen in gray wickedly smiled.

I told you, Wall of First; she was the rightful choice for a queen; said one of the voices.

Wall of Third; have you forgotten that it was me, who found her by the orange tree stealing away its oranges? said another voice.

Oh! Wall of Fourth; but it was I, who had the idea to make her the Kings Queen; said a third voice.

No, Wall of Second; I am the one who is truly behind her success of being a queen; protested Wall of Third and so the Wall of Second, Third and Fourth started quarrelling as to who was really behind in raising the Dark Queen.

Quiet! said a fourth voice; husky, old, deep, cold and authoritative to its core; My dear Walls! If one of us or the other had been missing there might have been no problem for a human to enter this place; that is she; would not be able to find us. You see my walls it was not us who got our Queen to her place – but she herself. All we did is become her room of secrets; the Eldest Wall said; the Wall of First had never lied but still wickedly had told many. As very few knows that lies are not what the one says but how one hears.

The Dark Queen smiled sardonically, her eyes gleaming in vanity.

I thank for your time, my Walls; she said as if in demand to be welcomed.

It is our pleasure, our Queen; the voices once again said in unision. And, the Dark Queen walked through one of the wall and walked out the balcony and was caught in her thoughts momentarily.

Wake, Amora – wake, you still have time; a very deep, mysterious voice came from the branches of the trees. The Dark Queen looked towards the great-old Oak tree that had survived a hundred years. On it was sitting a white owl, with golden eyes and reading spectacles on its nose. The Dark Queen backed away; flabbergasted by the unexpected scene.

Old Wise Owl – what you do here? the Dark Queen was not pleasant when she asked.

I know –; the owl said;