Part 20- 14

Weeks went by and the feeling of Tom being around me was fading. Of course we talked every night but it wasn't the same. I missed him. More than any other time we've been apart. But missing him wouldn't bring him back any sooner. I journaled everyday too, writing Tom random things each day. As the days went by, I completely forgot my birthday was coming up. The day before my birthday I was talking to Tom. He seemed preoccupied with something else. I ignored it, thinking that maybe he was just trying to get stuff together because he had said earlier that he had a busy day filming. "Are you going to be able to make it for my birthday tomorrow" I asked trying not to sound too desperate. "I'm sorry Nova, but I just can't, I asked my agent and everything and I just couldn't get them to let me off. I'm sorry" he responded sadly. "Ok it's fine, I'm sorry you couldn't get a day off" I told him, actually feeling sorry that he couldn't get off. "See that's why I like you Nova, it's not always about you, you look after other people without expecting anything in return." He said smiling. "Well I just do what I think people deserve" I replied trying not to blush anymore than I already was.

We continued to talk until 11:59 pm. Tom was watching the clock and counting down. I laughed. When the clock hit 12, Tom started singing happy birthday through the phone. "HAPPY FOURTEENTH BIRTHDAY NOVALEE" he screamed into the phone. Now both of us were laughing. This was probably the only time I'd be ok with Tom calling me Novalee. Shortly after we hung up and I fell asleep. I was fourteen now,  a year ago today, I kissed Tom for the first time and that sparked the relationship we have now. I'll never forget that kiss. Not only was it my first kiss but the way it all happened, is way better than any of the first kiss stories I've heard. I wake up the next morning, it's Saturday, my birthday. I think back to last night when Tom was singing to me and wished he was actually here to sing it instead of over the phone. As I laid in my bed I heard a knock at the door, before I could even answer, my whole family burst through the door with a giant stack of pancakes with candles in them. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY NOVA" they said as they walked over to my bed. I sat up and smiled. They handed me my pancakes and I blew out the candles. "What'd you wish for" my dad asked. "I can't tell you, it won't come true" I replied. My wish was that Tom could be there and that my year would be good. It was weird to think I was only fourteen. I felt like i was running out of time.

Later that day, the Holland's came over. As they walked through the door I saw each of them and smiled. As Dom and Nikki walk through the door they smile at me and move their eyes to motion behind them. As they walk through the door, I see Tom standing behind them. I got so excited that he was there that I ran over without thinking and gave him a great big hug. He hugged me back, "surprise" he said. I chuckled, then I realized that I was still hugging him and thought about what everyone else was thinking. I let go, "you're back" I said through my teeth. "Yup, well just for today, I haven't spent a Osterfield birthday away yet and I don't plan on ever missing it" he said seriously. I punched his shoulder and smiled, "good to have my fighting buddy back" I said trying to make it seem like we disliked each other. I'm not so sure how that worked, seeing our hug earlier. Our families talked and I guess they had bought the whole, "fighting buddy" thing. We left soon after they arrived and went to the ice rink. We all got ice skates on and spent my birthday ice skating all together. Most of the time it was all the kids together and the parents behind us. Tom and I skated next to each other with Haz on the other side of Tom; Sam, Harry and Paddy next to me.