Maternal Instincts

It had been three months since Sonic had been reunited with his mother and things had been awkward between them. They were ecstatic to be together again, but it was like getting to know a stranger.

It was a sunny morning and Sonic was swimming in an isolated area of the ocean near Pistris Island as fast as he could while Tails tracked him with a speed scanner and Amy took notes on a clipboard.

"600 mph!" Tails cheered as Sonic surfaced. Grinning, the blue hedgehog lifted a tentacle of water from the sea and started streaming it around the boat before turning it into a ball and holding it in the air.

"Hydrokinesis, check." Amy smiled before Sonic turned it to solid ice and dropped it into the ocean.

"Hydro-Cryokinesis, check." Tails smiled. "So, why are we out here testing your powers?"

"I just needed something to take my mind off things." He sighed.

"You mean with your mother?" Amy asked.

"Yeah, things are just awkward between us, I want to get to know her but..." He groaned as Tails gave him a reassuring pat on the shoulder...

******

When Sonic did make home at around lunch he found his Uncle Chuck standing in the living room with Emma Nets, both waiting for him.

"What's going on?" He asked nervously.

"Sonic, we have been talking, together and with your mother, and we thought that it would be a good idea for you to spend the weekend at your mother's castle." Emma smiled.

"What?!"

"Please Sonic, you need to spend time with your mother and get to know her better."

"B-But don't I get a say in this!?"

"Sorry Sonic, but you don't." Emma shrugged. "Tomorrow morning you will be up and heading straight to Atlantica."

Sonic growled before storming upstairs and slamming the door...

******

The next morning, Sonic was speed swimming towards Atlantica. He had already texted his friends and told them he'd be gone for the weekend so they texted back saying they'd be there for when he'd get back.

He dashed through the underwater city and straight to the castle.

This was another reason why he was hesitant to come down here. Whenever the city's sea fae saw him, they'd start to mob their 'saviour prince'. When he swam into the throne room, he saw him mother and Shadow talking about something.

The second she saw him, however, her face instantly lit up as she swam up to him and crushed him in a hug.

"H-Hey Mom." He wheezed. "Hey Shads."

"Prince Sonic." The ebony merhog bowed before swimming away.

"I'm so happy you're here!" Aleena beamed. "How long are you staying?"

"For the weekend." He smiled.

"Well, you should get settled before dinner, Pearl will take you to your room." She smiled as the dolphin swam up to them, whistling happily.

He gave his mother one last hug before following the dolphin down the hall. They entered a large room with the basic, but fancy looking bedroom furniture with a giant bed in the shame of a giant clam.

He lay down on the bed and felt like he had just gone to heavy, it was so soft and warm, even under the cold ocean water.

He sighed before sitting up and getting ready for dinner...