twenty

Joanne's Pov

A lot of people who knew Joanne were scared of her and it wasn't a secret that she thrived off that. She loved when she walked through the halls of her dance school all her students fell quiet, quiet enough for you to hear a pin drop, as their eyes shifted to the floor as she walked past- secretly hoping she wouldn't stop infront of them.

She was very much for 'tough love' she never wanted to butter things up and make people think the world is full of daisies and rainbows. She was behind two successful ballet careers, she knew the industry like the back of her hand. Joanne was determined to make her name for herself and her family to put the Ratajkowski's on the map. Growing up to a single parent who worked two jobs just to provide for her kids, they lived in a small community house on the outskirts of Toronto, which she had to share with her older sister while their mother took the sofa.

Her mother married her off as soon as she turned 16 and even though she was convinced it wouldn't work out between them. They lasted a lifetime together (52 years) James Harper was a shoe maker, they were completely worlds apart but that somehow made them last. He unfortunately lost his battle with lung cancer just two years ago, which pushed her into the world of ballet again- James was always the one who would open up his home to anyone, always saw the good in people and never the bad. It was his idea about opening a school to give back to the community that made two generations of the family.

There was a small knock on the door which made Joanne fall out of her daydream state, her eyes snapped up to the door which was already open with her youngest granddaughter walking inside. She was dressed neatly in her leotard with a light purple cardigan and pink tights, her hair was in a neat bun. The more and more Ruby and Gabrielle grew up the more they become a spitting image of their mother- which she loved as even though she was gone she lived on through them.

"I miss him too" she softly spoke as she sat down in the armchair opposite. "He had no clue about fashion but he had the best bedtime stories" she smiled.

"The state you two looked when he was incharge of you when I went to work, was very questionable" she joked making the two giggle. She leaned back in her chair. "But we always had the best goddamn shoes on the planet" she laughed.

A smile appeared on her face as her eyes wandered over a few photos scattered over her desk. "You girls were the apple of his eyes, he was such a push over especially to you" she chuckled shaking her head at a photo of the four of us.

"Anyway you summoned me"she said as she shoved a handful of raspberries in her mouth.

The older women crinkled her nose up to her. "Some of my sources have told me that your little friend, Penelope has backstabbed you, so to speak by signing up to the championships"

The granddaughter raised her brows at her. "And did your 'sources' tell you why? She wants to get the money for her mothers-"

"And why are you doing it Ruby? To make a name for yourself" she pointed out. "Penelope would naive if she thinks she can get one over on you! And that's why she has decided to do duos, because she can't do it alone"

Ruby was about to speak but the knock on the door interrupted her, Joanne arose to her feet as she spotted the dark haired girl stood behind the door. Bobbi Woolf Lindemann, a family friend and excellent ballet dancer.

"Am I late?" The Vancouverite questioned.

Joanne shook her head before pecking her cheek, she told her to sit down as she walked around her desk and sat back down. She looked back at her granddaughter who was now just sitting in an confused manner, looking inbetween her Nan and childhood best friend.