Chapter 25: The War Begins

Jay woke up in a different place, but recognized it immediately. He was in the Irene dimension. He was being healed, which he gladly welcomed the help. When he was fully healed, he got up and began walking around. Finally, Irene came forward, and said "Welcome back. I wish it were under better circumstances, but I'm glad you're here nonetheless. Things have gotten difficult, and you've obviously been affected by it."

"What do you mean?" Jay asked, confused on what Irene meant.

"Shad has died, and so had Esmund. We've lost two Divine Warriors in one day. What brought you here was the discovery of Esmund's relic."

"I thought you could only get a Divine Warrior's relic if you share a similar personality or if you're related to them."

Irene looked at Jay, then said "When the world was first made, and Esmund finally accepted my heart laid with another man, he started a family. We intended to have one Divine warrior start a family per universe, but it seems Esmund didn't realize Shad and I would one day start ours here. You are the great-great-great-great-grandson of Esmund the Protector."

"But how? My family is-"

"You don't know who your true family is. Shad saw who your true parents were, and hid you from them. You've grown up under lies, and mistakes we've tried to fix."

"What do you mean I've grown up under lies and mistakes?"

"Your father-" Irene took a minute to calm herself and chose how to explain the next bit. "Your father is the Man in the Shadows, as you call him. Your mother, Menphia the Fury, was tricked by this man, and ended up giving birth to you. She-"

Irene was cut off when Jay asked "So I'm not only related to Esmund, I'm related to Menphia, who is actually my mother. And the Man in the Shadows is my father? How is this all possible?"

Irene looked at Jay, knowing he has a right to know everything about where he came from. She knew Shad didn't want this to happen, but he had to know. "The Man in the Shadows, was the great-great-great-grandson of Esmund when he was a normal human. It was only in a tragic accident that nearly took his life when Shad made him into what he is now. Menphia at the time was just finding out she was the Divine Warrior's reincarnation, when she was tricked by your father, and became pregnant with you. Shad knew immediately what had happened, and discussed with Menphia and your adoptive parents what would happen when you were to be born. When you were no longer dependant on your mother, you would be given to them."

"If my parents knew, why did my mother treat me the way she did?"

"I'm getting there." Irene responded, trying to stay calm, understanding what this new information would spark many questions. "Your adoptive mother died in an accident at work shortly after you were given to them. Your father then married a different women, apparently not telling her who you were truly related to. Your sisters were actually you step-mothers daughters when she was married to a different man. That's why she abused you the way she did. And when you couldn't hold it any longer, the power you inherited from your mother, being able to set things ablaze in rage, you killed her, and burned down the rest of your village. That's when all we had to track you, were your prayers for help. We had no other ways of finding you when you went into the Fangorn Forest. Or, at least until you found my daughter. I've been watching over you since."

What about my real mom? Where is she?"

Irene was about to respond when she closed her mouth, and motioned for him to follow her. They walked down a hallway, that seemed to go on forever. Finally, they entered a room, with others. They all stood up, and Jay noticed that there were only three others.

"Who is this?" Someone called out, noticing Jay following Irene.

"Surely you'd recognize your own son," someone else replied.