Life, Interrupted

The following week, I had my interview at the college bookstore. It was mostly run by students anyway, so is kind of weird having someone no older than I was as my supervisor.

We sat down in the back when the store wasn't that busy, but thankfully there were other people to pick up the slack and run the cash register as students filtered through buying things, most of which didn't involve textbooks.

Lauren was a little older than I was with strawberry blonde hair which she pulled back in a ponytail. She looked like every other college student that came through the bookstore and that I saw in the cafeteria, from what I knew she would be graduating in the spring.

"So why do you want to work here?"

I shrugged.

"Long story, but I need the money." I replied.

Lauren laughed.

"That's a good reason."

"I've been meaning to get a job, you know, and get off my butt."

Laura nodded.

"What's your schedule look like?"

"I am pretty free in the afternoon, it's my morning that's really busy."

"You can come straight and after lunch and work until your first afternoon class." Lauren reasoned, after I had told her in detail about my schedule.

"Works for me." I replied.

"I'll put you on the schedule for 12:30 PM to 1:30 PM Monday through Friday, can you start next week?"

I blinked. "Sure!"

"Right." Lauren replied, "I'll see you then."

I wasn't sure I could take on any more particularly as my pregnancy progressed but 7.50 an hour was better than nothing. A paycheck for barely $40 a week wouldn't even put a dent in things but it was better than nothing. There was still the other job at the coffee shop across the street, maybe between those two things I would at least have enough to help pay rent and get what my child needed. I did more calculations later that evening; 150 a month from the bookstore job plus whatever money I could get if I got the job at the coffee shop, then there was the car to worry about and a host of other things adults had to consider. The entire thing gave me a headache.

It would be enough, I told myself at least to make sure my child was clothed and fed... That would be enough.

By the time the coffee shop called me back I wasn't even sure if I would get the job. Their only concern was how long I could work and stay on my feet with my progress in pregnancy.

"Sorry we don't have benefits." The manager told me in a no nonsense voice. She sounded nice, but she was just being realistic.

"I'll do my best." I told her fervently. "I learn quick and I really need this."

I at least had my foot in the door and I would take that for what it was. Finally she promised to do a follow-up interview by the end of the week. When I hung up I was finally feeling slightly more confident.

I got this. I told myself, I can make this work. I looked down at my still mostly flat stomach. For both of us.

The following week I started my work in the campus bookstore. To begin with, I was already comfortable with the people I was serving. They were mostly my age stressing about all the same things; buying textbooks that they couldn't afford, drinking way too much caffeine, and worrying about their latest homework assignment.

Being a cashier was a no-brainer. As long as you knew enough math to make the right change, and double checked said change you were pretty set. Lauren spent the first few days including that Monday making sure I knew the ropes and what I was doing, but after a while I would be on my own while Lauren helped other customers and restocked the shelves as needed.

Having a job made me feel strangely empowered, maybe my mother was right (she usually was) and I should have gone a job a long time ago.

Now I had a reason to, that was at least a start.

I got this, I thought, as I rang up the latest sale, I am woman hear me roar!

By the time I finished my shift I had a routine.

"You doing okay?" Lauren asked, as I was finishing up and we prepared for the changing of the guard.

"Doing okay." I replied, "I guess it's just going to take some getting used to."

Lauren nodded.

"You'll get it, pretty soon you'll be as fast as me."

"Not so sure about that," I said laughing, "particularly as the baby gets bigger, after a while I'll be like a blimp!"

Lauren laughed.

"I'm sure we can work around that."

Outside the bookstore students were already heading to their afternoon classes, saying a quick goodbye to Lauren, I shouldered my bag and rejoined the masses. For now, school came first.