Prologue

"It should hatch soon." The dragonet heard. "Any minute now." "Mother!" A whining voice said. "I don't want another sniffling dragonet following us around! Two siblings is enough!"

"Put a sheep in it Dreamcatcher!" Said a male voice. "This dragonet will be amazing." There was a snorting sound, then a sound as if someone had been stuck across the snout.

"Ow!" Dreamcatcher, the one who didn't want another sibling, yelped."What was that for?"

"You will not belittle this dragonet." The male voice said. "Understood?"

"Aw look!" Cried Dreamcatcher. "My big brother is hitting me and giving me an order. Last I heard, we weren't in the military." She snarled.

"Dreamcatcher! Volcano!" Shouted mother. "Enough!" There was another snorting sound, then the shuffling of feet moving closer to the dragonet

. "Mother, why must I have another sibling?" Asked Dreamcatcher.

 "Because I wanted another dragonet." Said Mother. "I think that it will teach us all responsibility, and I actually wanted another sibling. Maybe this one will be kind instead of a bull snorter." Said Volcano. There was a deep growl.

 "What is going on out here?" A deep, horrible, chilling voice grumbled. 

"Great Dreamcatcher," Volcano whispered. "You just woke father up."

"The dragonet is hatching." Said Mother. "Under the moons?" Asked father. "Yes." Said Mother. "It'll be a moonborn."

"Moonwatcher," the father figure hissed. "Why another dragonet?"

"I wanted another one." Mother started to hiss. "I never asked for this!" Father shouted at mother. "I never asked to have four dragonets who don't know manners. Who don't understand anything about where their father grew up!"

"I never told them about where you came from because a queen who's related to you would think that I was trying to steal you! Like they say about Arctic and Foeslayer!" Screamed mother. "Oh wait, aren't you dead? Didn't you supposedly die to save your brother? That's why I didn't take them there! Because they'd kill you and the dragonets in an instant! I didn't take them there because I loved you! Because I love them! I wanted to have a family! Not because I wanted to be like Arctic and Foeslayer! But because I loved you Winter! I still love you, but obviously you only love fame and glory!" The dragonet could hear a muffled cry that came from the cave. I have to get out. The dragonet thought. To save them. The dragonet banged her head against the eggshell. Nothing happened. She tried again and again. Finally, the dragonet felt a cold rush of air surround her. Mother and Father stopped to look at their dragonet. Father snorted and flew away. As he left, the dragonet could see flashes of blood and bones. 

"Hi there little one." Mother cooed. "I'm your mamma and your name is gonna be..." Volcano pokes his head out of the cave to watch. "Your name is Destinychooser." Mother finished. "Starseer! Volcano! Dreamcatcher! Come meet your new sister!" 

Dreamcatcher snorted. "She's a moonborn?" Asked Dreamcatcher.

"Yes." Replied mother. "What's wrong with that?" Dreamcatcher her made a face and stomped off. Mother looked as if she was about to cry.

"It's ok Mother." Volcano whispered. "I'll talk to her later." Mother smiled and opened her mouth.

"If something was to happen to me," she said. "If I was to get hurt, or at the worst, die, you, as the oldest, are going to have to look after your siblings. Is that understood? No harm comes to them."

"Yes mother." Volcano said respectfully to Mother. "I will protect them with my life."

"Thank you, Volcano." Mother whispered, and embraced her two dragonets close to her. "Everything is going to be great."

No, no it's not. Destinychooser thought. There's something terrible coming for us. I won't be able to stop it.