Part Two - Got the Job!

As I walked into my AP English classroom, I felt glances at me. It was not unusual, considering the fact that I had a certain air around me, or so I heard.

"Hi, Haylie," said Bridgette, one of the girls who I had acquainted with. She was fairly popular, but very kind, not taking in mind other people's social status. Bridgette was probably the only person in my class that could bear with me.

She wore a beautiful diamond-encrusted blouse with a black pencil skirt. Bridgette's clothes were absolutely wonderful, and my compliments were the things that made us friends in the first place.

Me, on the other hand, wore a plain dark pink shirt, with straight-legged jeans and old sneakers from a couple of years ago. I had my hair in its usual ponytail.

"Hello Bridgette, how was your everning?" I asked, adjusting my pencils and rearranging my books.

As we talked about her soccer match and my interview, it slipped my mind that we were in class. The bell rung, and we turned to the front of the classroom. It was nice to have friends.

"Haylie, dear, do you mind going out and getting eggs?" My mother asked, as she handed me a couple of ragged dollar bills. I nodded, and exited our bungalow to the market across the street.

Many people dont know where, but I live on the outskirts of the suburbs where most of my classmates live. The little town is called Canterville. Its quite dainty and all, but is very low in population, and frankly, funding. My mother, my sister, Jean and I, live in a brown and rotting bungalow. The rent for the house was heavily on my mother's shoulders, who worked at a supermarket in town. Now that I am seventeen, and more educated than my mother, I sought out for higher paying jobs in the suburbs, to help support my family and I. Jean, who is turning twelve, occasionally helps out in the market.

"Hello Haylie," Mrs. Sommers, the lady who sold the eggs, greeted me. Mrs. Sommers was a happily married woman, until her husband died. Now, she uses the money from his will to help the community, by giving us discounted eggs and other dairy products. It's very generous, in my opinion.

Grabbing the eggs, I headed back home and came to a surprising sight. My mother was jumping up and down, looking estatic.

"HAYLIE! You got the job! Guess what? Youre a maid!"

Now most people would be horrified at this thought, but another unimaginable image occured; I was jumping along with my mother.

After a couple minutes of joy, reality sunk in.

"Mother. Why did Mr. Jenkins take me in so quickly? I scheduled Friday for a housework testing!"

My mother looked puzzled, "He said the housework test went wonderfully."

I nodded. Okay, he must've liked me then!

With a rare smile, I asked my mother, "When do I start?"

~~~~~~~~~~~

A.N

Feedback welcome!!

Thanks for reading :)

Teaser: What's in store for Haylie? And what happened to her father? Why doesn't he live with them?