Picture Perfect | Shot 15

Prompt: "You are my happy place."

Couple: Shivaay x Anika

My Happy Place

25th April, 2011

“I think it’s over, Anika. We're not the same anymore.” Shivaay said with remorse in his eyes. His usually bright eyes were dull and the his usually uptight persona hung low.

Several minutes passed not a single word was exchanged between them. Shivaay knew the hurt he had caused to the person infront of him but he knew it was now or never.

After what seemed a decade, Shivaay heard the slow retreating steps but he was sure of what he had heard.

“I understand”

Next hour of the day went in a blur. The only remnants of the day he had were of Anika ‘s departure. Earlier when he had made this decision of breaking up with Anika, he had imagined the departure to be hateful or atleast tearful but here, he looked up only to see her looking upto him with a tight  smile plastered on her face, wishing him a good life.

He searched for some tears or anger or any damn emotion but he was only met with emptiness, absolute nothingness. It was at that moment he truly regretted his decision. He had succeeded in choosing his dreams over his girl. Yes, he had succeeded breaking the girl of his dreams into nothingness.

He wanted to clear the mess he had created, he wanted to stop the leaving car but it was late. Maybe too late.
He unconsciously started retreating back to the door of his home.

Home? He questioned himself.
He had heard the saying 'Home is where the heart is.’ But when his own eyes could see it leaving how could he call that place home.

****

Anika had said nothing while leaving but her heart had wanted to, so she left nothing but a envelope addressed to him. She knew he won’t open it because it was just a hindrance to him in achieving his dreams as was she  but she also knew that a day would come when he would allow his heart lead the way instead of his mind. That day he would come back to her.
After being in a 3 years long live in relationship, Anika had really understood Shivaay well and as anticipated Shivaay never dared to open the letter.

****

Shivaay decided to move on and achieve his dreams. The dreams he had locked in his heart. The dreams of traveling around the world, the dream to see the wonders of nature and the diverse human civilization.
For several years he pursued his dreams moving state to state, country to country and continent to continent, his suitcase was packed all the time but one thing he never forgot was the envelope. The letter written by his Anika. Deep down all the memories he still had her buried. The envelope in his suitcase always giving him the hope and feeling that there was someone on the other side of the globe waiting for him.