Chapter 1: The Void

In my parent's attic I stood, facing a mysterious door. Out of boredom my sister and I came up here, even though our parent's told us not to. We couldn't help but snoop. Now this wasn't just any door, that'd be too boring. We had opened the door to find a purple void on the inside, it looked liked a separate dimension or something. My sister, Agatha, had already gone in, and was probably waiting for me on the other side of whatever this door was. With my prior knowledge, I knew this would be the start of some grand adventure with death defying stunts... or it could be a portal to purgatory. The only way to find out was to take a leap of faith, and that's exactly what I did.

After making the jump, I did not expect to feel weightless and heavy at the same time. I was floating in a purple void, weightless and confused, what's worse was it felt so familiar but I couldn't quite figure out how I knew it. But enough of that sappy and philosophical stuff. I managed to start swimming around in this void, and I shut the door behind me. Ahead of me, I saw another open door and began swimming to it. It felt like I was swimming through molasses. I went through the door and fell face-first onto nothing. Just a solid, white ground.

"You could've taken longer, Cole," I heard Agatha say, "I was starting to enjoy the silence," she remarked sarcastically. I looked up, and we were in a white void. The only other thing there that wasn't us was the door. Plain marble white, with a gold doorknob, not that that's really important. Let me give you a brief summary of how my sister looks so you get an idea. Red hair, tank top, exercise pants, and a ponytail. In the past, people have called her a tomboy, and while that's technically true, she doesn't take kindly to people who label her.

"And you could use a little more patience," I said as I got up.

We began a small, witty back and forth, Agatha continued, "I wouldn't need patience if you were faster."

"Well I wouldn't need to be faster if you were patient, and so we've come full circle."

Agatha drew attention back to the issue at hand, "So any clue what this place might be?"

"Nope," I replied. "I'm thinking maybe it's purgatory, but I'm hoping it's not."

"Why would a portal to purgatory be in our attic?"

"That's a good question... Maybe it links to other dimensions!" I thought aloud.

"Well from what I can see, there's nowhere to go here. Maybe we should start looking around for something."

"And get totally lost in the meantime. Good idea," I replied.

We cut the chit-chat and started looking around. We couldn't really find anything, and at one point we lost each other and had to yell "Marco!" "Polo!" to each other.

"We really need to stay together," I said.

"You kinda blend into this place," said Agatha.

"Oh, yeah. White hair, white jacket, white void."

"You should try dark colors sometime."

I looked at my clothes, "Doesn't seem like my style."

We decided to sit down in silence and wait for something to happen instead of inevitably getting lost again. She was laying in my lap, and I was just playing with her hair cuz I could. She was comfortable with it, even though I messed with her ponytail a bit.

"What if we're stuck here forever?" she thought aloud.

"Well, where we came in is still here, we could always go back."

"But what if we end up a hundred years in the future, where no one we know is alive? What if we never get to see our friends again? What about mom and dad?" she theorized to me. She was scared. She wasn't normally scared, I've noticed she can tend to do that when she thinks too much, or whenever she's alone or feels like she'll lose someone. I'm always by her side to keep her calm, and even when I'm not, I know she can handle herself because she packs quite the punch. If there's one piece of advice I like to live by, it's "I try not to think too much. It keeps me from being nuts," I learned that from a fictional demigod, Leo Valdez.

"You worry too much," I told her. "Don't worry about what you don't know. Just enjoy the silence for now. It's kinda peaceful."

She pulled herself together, "You're right. If nothing happens soon, we'll just head back, and pretend this never happened." I turned on my arm-packs, two pieces of technology strapped to my wrists that my mom made for my 15th birthday. She told me that they can digitize anything smaller than me that isn't living and pop them out just as they were before. In lamens terms, it's a hold-everything-device. So I turned it on and went to the food menu. "I've got some food if we get hungry"

Agatha looked at the holographic screen for my arm-pack and her eyes widened as if she had discovered something, but instead, it was because she saw the strawberries option on my screen and pointed at it. I clicked it and a closed container of strawberries materialized. She loves strawberries. Nothing can compete on her fruit tier list. The second closest thing for her is grapes. Me personally, my favorite fruit would have to be kiwi. The more I eat the more I like it.

Her eyes widened again, this time it was because she realized something. "Doesn't your arm-pack have a map option?"

"Yeah," I pulled up the map, "but I highly doubt that there would be a map of this place..." I was shocked. Somehow, there was a map of our location on the map database. Granted, there wasn't much there, but there was also a title for our location. "Dimensional Rift," I said aloud. Suddenly, a shimmering noise was emitting out of seemingly nowhere. We started looking around, then Agatha tapped my shoulder and pointed, there was another door. We both got up.

"Guess I was right about the dimensional portal!" I exclaimed.

"Should we go in?" Agatha asked. I slowly approached the door and turned the knob. Inside was another purple void with a door on the other side.

"Only one way to go from here," I said, thrilled by the new possibilities. Whatever lied beyond this door was going to be new.

"Well, we can always go back," Agatha said.

I chuckled, "Or, we could just move forward," I extended my hand for her to grab. She hesitated, but then grabbed my hand and stood next to me at the door.

"Ready?" I asked her.

"Only if you are," she replied. And then we jumped through.

As we went through the colorful void on the other side of the door, our hands were still held together. Agatha and I swam to the other door and soon enough, we got through to the other side.