Chapter 14: A Jewel-Obsessed Bat

Getting to the other side, I should've been used to the trip at this point. There was no sound, no gravity, only the color purple and each of us together. Agatha was dragging me through the portal and to the other side, I could tell Lydia was getting a kick out of this because she was swimming around with a joyful expression. The more I passed through this area, the more it felt familiar. Not just because I'd been going through it several times, but because it reminded me of a place I'd seen before, even though no physical place was like this. I still couldn't figure out what it reminded me of, but it didn't really matter, I decided.

We made it to the other side and wasted no time getting to the next door. Lydia made a comment on the way, "It's so simple and silent here, I could stay here for a while."

"Well too bad," Agatha said in response, "as much as I'd like to as well, we've got places to be." Lydia pouted and continued with us.

We made it through the other portal and into Sonic's world. One at a time we stepped through the door and into the cave where the door had always sat. Immediately a question popped into my head. "Wait, Lydia how did you find this anyway?"

"Well," she started, "I noticed Tails plane heading towards this island and assumed you were with him, so I borrowed a motorboat and rode it here. After that, it was just about following your guys' footsteps up here."

"A pretty good tracker, aren't you?" Agatha asked rhetorically. We began heading down the mountain to the shoreline.

Lydia simply nodded in response. I doubt she knew the implications of what she had been doing, watching me all the time. I seriously could not change my mind about her. At that point all I saw her as was a stalker, and I almost wanted to confront her about it, but I didn't want to be too harsh right now. I could talk to her about it later.

We got down to the shoreline where Tails had landed his plane before. Tail's plane was gone, so they had returned to the mainland, and Lydia's boat was still sitting on the beach. The giant robot fish we had taken down yesterday had disappeared, leading me to think that it may have gotten back into the ocean or that it may have just deteriorated. Either way, I chose not to worry about it.

"Hop in, you two!" Lydia called to us as she jumped in her motorboat.

I smirked and said, "No thanks, I've got my own way back. I'm sure Agatha would be happy to join you though." With a red face, Agatha glared at me and reluctantly got into Lydia's boat.

"Wait, how are you going to cross the sea?" Lydia asked. Oh, how little she knew despite stalking me.

"I've got a little trick up my sleeve," I said with a smug grin.

"It's called his ego," Agatha added. I brushed the comment off and got a song ready. This time it didn't really matter what song. As long as it was fast-paced, I could run to it. Once it began, I started running on the water as I did yesterday, and the thrill was just the same. I still enjoyed myself just as much, with the water splashing against my feet and pants, the wind in my hair, and best of all, the tunes on the way.

Gonna give the wheel to Agatha now, I'm sure she's got something to add here.

Thanks, Cole.

As soon as Cole took off running on the water, Lydia made the widest and happiest expression I've seen on her. Which might not be saying much, I haven't seen her as much as Cole has. But right after that, Lydia started the motorboat and began driving us to the mainland.

For most of the ride, it was either completely quiet or very noisy. Lydia would not stop talking about how great Cole was. How dreamy he was. How cool he was. I think I was starting to understand why Cole didn't like this girl. She was obsessive, I could clearly tell, but something about her seemed cute to me. It was like a little sibling being amazed by their bigger sibling, something I had experienced until Cole had reached his teen years. I honestly kind of liked the attention he gave me, praising me for doing well, cheering me on in whatever I was doing, whether it was lifting weights or downing a plate of food. Part of me wished to feel that again, so I hoped I could get Lydia to see me the way she saw Cole, maybe just a little less clingy. Plus, appearance-wise she was kind of cute.