episode 5 | a new arrival

y/n

"odell. i swear to god if you tell me to breathe one more time, i'll punch your ass!" i'm so angry my words come out as if they were one sentence, rubbing my huge belly as i cut my eyes at him from inside the pool.

he throws his hands up in defence, relaxing back in his chair and manspreading. "i'm just tryna help, baby." he shoves his hands into his hoodie pockets.

"yeah, well–" a contraction rips through me. the pain is so intense i curl forward and luckily odell catches me before i faceplant into the water.

dell and i have been trying to have a baby for months. after years of living our lives and doing what's best for us, we've both now settled down and one day i decided to stop taking my birth control.

odell was set on having kids, however, i had my doubts. i wanted kids, but i also wanted alone time without worrying when it was up. i wanted kids, but i also didn't wanna lose myself in the process.

it took a lot of thinking to get to the position i'm in now. i've already been through a miscarriage, so that took me back to thinking, 'do i want this?' but, my baby fever grew and now i'm ready to deliver our first child.

i wanted a home birth because i didn't want the stress of hospitals. not knowing when you're next gonna be seen, trying to figure out where the toilet is without being rushed so you don't pee yourself. i know where everything is at home and that settles my mind a lot more.

"i think i'm gonna be sick," i mumble, lifting my head from odell's shoulder. he brings me the sick bowl, sponging me with the water so i don't get cold and stopping every couple of seconds to kiss my forehead.

i empty the contents of my stomach, seeing odell using the full length of his arm and looking away. i smirk and wipe my mouth with the tissue that was already in his hand. odell has emetophobia.

"come gimme kiss." i tease, crawling over to him and puckering up.

he side-eyes me, throwing away the cardboard bowl and offering me some water. i open my mouth as in to say yes, having him hold the bottle for me as i drank. i wipe my mouth and then my chin is pulled, his lips meeting mine.

"i'm sorry, y/n." he says once we've pulled away. "you know i don't do vomit."

i giggle and notice my midwife, taylor, being led through the bedroom door by ben, who's got his gaming headset around his neck and the controller still in his hands. he says he's here for moral support, but i bet you it's just to get away from his crazy ass side girl who supposedly won't leave his apartment.

"hey, guys. how're things going, how strong are your pains?" taylor sets her stuff down on our bed, taking off her coat to reveal her black tunic and pulling out some blue vinyl gloves from her bag. "i'm sorry i'm a bit late. lots of traffic coming off from here."

i go to answer her, but my whole back seizes up with another strong pain which feels like it's pushing its way around my belly and then centering at my cervix.

i wail loudly, digging my nails into odell's shoulder blades and hunching forward into him. tears seeped from my eyes and soaked his skin, his arms cradling me tightly like he was tryna cuddle sand.

"that's my queue to leave. safe delivery, y/n. you're doing amazing." ben is out of the door within one second, leaving the door a jar and running down the stairs.