chapter two

chapter two 02| collateral damage

chapter two
02| collateral damage

"Larry should've told me..." the voice escaping my mouth shuddered, shattering as it passed through my lips.

What was there to say? How could I be anything other than confused? The one time they assign me a cop, it's the one reason why I had a problem with them in the first place.

The lack of hair on his light brown skinned head was achingly familiar. Letting myself fall vulnerable to the insatiable attack of his blue eyes would be my demise.

"Even if he had," he moved towards me, my petite body frozen in place as if my office had become a freezer. "would it have changed the way you're feeling right now?"

Choosing to ignore the rising acidic bubbles begging to spit out of my body from the pit of my stomach was all I could manage. That and taking a seat at my desk where I could physically shun him.

Silence always got to Theo, he couldn't take the weight of not knowing, not having a constant flood of knowledge.

So he chuckled, cooly, a simple dismissal of the way that he had begun to make me feel. "You know, Celeste. You and I, we used to have it good. We were good."

Theo Darling's file was placed on my desk for a reason. I utilised it, ripping it open to read why he was sent to me, of all people.

Suffering from trauma, signs of romantic loss.

"What romantic loss could you possibly be experiencing?" my voice was never meant to translate so bitter. "You don't know pain unless you're the one inflicting it."

Violently, he slammed his hands against my desk in a fit of rage. I could've sworn I heard the glass shatter. But it didn't matter. No, I had offended him. That made up for almost everything.

"Celeste." he breathed slow, clenching his eyelids together so I could watch how he squirmed under his own raging temper to keep his perfect features soft. "I lost you the day of the accident."

Ironically, I found myself that day.

Angela stormed into the room with her jaw set and her fists balled, "And just what do you think you're doing here?"

Theo blinked, not registering the last couple of years I had learned to live without him.

"That accident was the best thing that ever happened to me." I admitted, feeling a wave of relief wash over me as I pressed the button hauling the security team to my office. "Why come to me now? It's been a year."