chapter six

chapter six 06| motel moments

chapter six
06| motel moments

"I still can't believe you traded in the Porsche for a mini-van." Garfield spoke his mind, still stuck on the very thought.

What the boy was experiencing was a deep rooted case of materialism. What actually mattered here was that there was room in the car. Not how it looked or how much it cost.

"It was so we could all fit." Dick muttered, justifying his actions which he shouldn't have had to.

"If it makes you feel better Kory likes the van." I confessed, remembering her words when we were looking for a new car.

"We're not actually staying here, are we?" Rachel looked out the window at the dismal looking infrastructure. It was a bleak white building which seemed to suck the life out of you just from looking at it.

Kory hopped out of my brother's truck to tap on Dick's window, "You know, there's probably a nicer place down the road."

"We're being hunted by sociopaths. Nicer places draw attention." Dick seemed very familiar to this lifestyle, I wondered what his life was like before becoming a detective.

"Yeah. Well, they also make it easier to sleep." Kory argued, her voice still so calm whilst talking to the idiot.

From the looks of it, my brother planned to do more than sleep with Kory around. Ryan wasn't a sleazy guy, but I could tell he desired her.

"One road in. Same road out. Only one point of access we have to watch." Dick made a convincing argument that I found myself agreeing with. "And also, it's quiet. Trouble comes our way, we should hear it first. And who said anything about sleeping?"

Dick didn't hesitate to jump out of the car when he had the chance, I quickly followed. Wanting to make sure he ordered enough rooms.

There was a massive puddle between me and the motel. "Oh God."

Dick seemed amused by my panic at the sight of it, "Afraid of getting a little wet? Well, I'm not putting my coat down if that's what you're asking."

He just picked me up and used his longer legs to avoid the puddle. I didn't appreciate the bridal carry, it made me feel like a damsel. But, I did appreciate the evasion of the puddle. I was scared to slip and fall; waking up in one was one time too many.

"Here we go. Four rooms, all close to each other." the receptionist handed me the keys.

"Glad you had the availability." Dick responded with an actual friendly tone.