chapter five

chapter five 05| powerless

chapter five
05| powerless

Garfield led us to a swanky mansion hidden on the other side of the woods. My instinct to take the truck had served me well because I felt like I couldn't go in.

The house was emitting too many tragic emotions and feelings, if I let them into my mind I would be haunted by other people's thoughts and memories.

Rachel was anxious about entering the place, I would be too if a wild animal was luring me into their den. But, this was different. I trusted Garfield to do the right thing.

"I think this is where we part ways." I admitted out loud, mainly to myself. I didn't like feeling lonely, and with them I hadn't. After witnessing the things Theo could do, having to keep them to myself; it was nice to find people who understood.

Garfield frowned for the second time today, "Really? Chief won't be home until later."

I ignored the lack of context about chief and shook my head with pursed lips, "I can't go in there. I can feel too much pain."

The worry in Rachel's face only increased upon realising she wouldn't have Ryan and I in there to look out for her. "Will you wait outside?"

"I'll stay outside for a little while," my hand reached out to her face, my tone calm and collected.

The colour of my hand shifted into an iridescent gold, it sent waves into Rachel's face. It illuminated her skin and then disappeared.

"Okay." she smiled before entering the lion's den with the beast himself.

Ryan side glanced me with a skeptical look, "Did you just compel her to be calm?"

Compel was an over exaggeration, what I did was far more scarier. I had used tactile connection to send some kind of hormones to her brain. "I-uh, I don't really know what I did."

"How've you been?" he shoved today's confusing events to the side to ask about my life as a whole.

How had I been? "I met someone how didn't like me. Angela thought it was really funny and Larry didn't believe her."

"I don't think I believe you either." Ryan folded his arms, leaning back in his seat to get comfortable. After all, we were kind of on a stakeout.

It felt strange to talk about Angela's theory with all the knowledge I had discovered about myself, "What if it's my abilities that force people to like me?"