Chapter 5

It took all of Dexter's courage to open the classroom door out into the hallway. When he did, Baldi was nowhere to be seen. "Guess I'm not getting my prize" Dex said to himself. He went for the yellow door again, but remembered that he needed two notebooks to use it. He went into the second classroom and repeated what he did again, getting all of the problems wrong. After the third question had been failed, a message appeared on the touchpad that made Dex's blood go cold. "I HEAR MATH THAT BAD", it read. As soon as the notebook disappeared and the counter above read 2/7 Notebooks, Dexter heard a loud SMACK outside the classroom, almost like a strong whip. He nervously stepped out and turned around, only to find Baldi holding the large ruler he had been hiding before and aggressively slapping it against his hand, a sour look of disappointment on his face as he got closer. Dexter yelped and bolted down the right hallway, running past bright red lockers and classroom doors. He ran until he couldn't run anymore. He had stopped against a locker to catch his breath, when he heard a young girl's voice call out from across the hallway "Let's Play!". He turned around and saw a young girl in a dress with a jump rope. She seems to be stumbling blindly, yet still coming over to him. She had eyes and hair that looked like a mess of tangled yarn. Dex wanted to run, but he felt bad for her. She handed him a jump rope and immediately he felt like he couldn't get away, like someone had closed walls in on him. "Jump rope 10 times in a row! Once you do, I'll let you go!" she said before making a childish giggle that made Dex shiver. "Ready? Go!". It took a short time to jump over the rope 10 times. After he finished, he felt like he could move again and breathed a sigh of relief. "Woah, that's great!" the little girl shouted, walking away, "Let's play again! Sometime soon."."Hopefully never again", he muttered.
After going into a classroom and getting, or failing, a third notebook, Dexter went out into the hallway and turned around. He saw something, but only for a second. It looked like a large sock puppet, like the ones kids would make, big googly eyes and everything. It disappeared before he could get a good look at it however. Before he could ponder what that creature was, he heard a familiar smacking noise and ran again. He reached a new hallway and saw a floating quarter in front of him. It was right by a soda machine. He grabbed the quarter and bought a soda. It looked familiar, but he didn't know why. He also found another quarter to the left of him and took that too. At the end of the hallway was a large humanoid shape. Dex squinted and walked forward, hoping it wasn't something aggressive. He got to the shape and saw that it was a large boy blocking the hallway with text over his shoulder that said "THIS IS A BULLY". He
was semi normal, dressed in an orange and blue shirt with blue pants. What was off putting about him was that his face looked like it had been melted in some way, droopy and irregular. The kid looked down at Dex and spoke slow and stretched out, almost like an echo in a cave. He eyed Dex's soda and said "I'm gonna take your caaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnddddddyyyyyyyy". His voice trailed off. Dex realized that the bully wasn't going to let him through unless he gave him his candy bar. He was about to take another hallway when he heard a robotic voice behind him say "I am coming ready or not here I come" He turned around and saw a large square robot speeding down the hallway towards him, large hands on the side of his frame and a large smile with a cockeyed stare. The robot shoved Dex into the bully, who grabbed his quarter and disappeared. "DUDE STOP" Dex yelled as the robot pushed him. "I hug people for all eternity" the robot said as it smushed Dexter against the wall. He soon found his way out of the robot's embrace and rushed down the hallway, happy to be out of the strange situation he had gotten himself into. However, it was not long before he heard Baldi's ruler and started to run.