Chapter Eight - 'The Past Beats Inside Me Like A Second Heart.' - John Banville

We took a cab to the address Mycroft send us. A lovely neighborhood, very expensive. We arrived at a stately house and Sherlock paid the cabbie. I made my way up the neat walkway. And knock on the solid oak door. Sherlock joins me at the door and after a few moments a petite blonde lady appears at the door. Sherlock waves at her and she shys away.

"Do you work with Frank? I haven't seen you before." The woman asks.

"No we are here to talk to Mrs. Hudson." I say.

"Oh, that's me. Come in then." She replies warily. We walk into the lovely house.

 "So who are you?  Who sent you?" She worries. She gestures for us to sit down and perches on the end of a couch.

"I'm Sherlock Holmes. My brother sent me, he is part of the British government." Sherlock explains.

"Oh I see!" She fretted, pulling her sleeve down quickly. 

"He is prepared to offer you immunity if you tell him everything you know about your husband's crime ring." I say gently.

"And who are you?" She buts in.

"Erm. My name is Keyland Jones..." I say.

"Oh!" She said standing abruptly. "Would you like some tea?"

"Erm, Sure?" Sherlock says confusedly.

"I'll help." I say following her into the kitchen.

"So you heard about my parents?" I deduce.

"I'm so sorry for your loss..." She said. There was an awkward pause as I tried to figure out what to say.

"I don't miss him. My father was abusive..."I say as she turns her back on me to get a tin of tea.       

"Just like your husband." She drops the tea carton with a loud clatter.

"How?" She sputtered.

"It's obvious really... The way you looked at Sherlock, you are distrustful of men. You have a bruise on your left arm in the shape of fingers, as if somebody grabbed you. When Sherlock waved at you you recoiled like you thought he would hit you."

She looked horrified. I walk over to her and take her hands in mine.

"You know my father was abusive. I understand what you are going through. Sherlock and I can help you, but only if you let us..." I appealed. 

"I can't you have to understand what he would do if he found out..." She gulped.

"Mrs. Hudson, what is your husband involved in?" I tested. She abruptly pulled her hands away from me and turned back to the tea.

"I can't... you cant... be here..." She said throwing the teabags back into the tea tin with shaking hands.

"Get out of my house. If he sees you here...you will be leaving in a coffin." She whispers terrified.

"Here" I said pulling out my business card.

"Whats this?" She asks.

"My number." I said heading out into the living room.

"Come on Sherlock we have to go." 

"But my brother..." Sherlock said as I grabbed his hand and dragged him out of the living-room. 

"She WILL, call us." I observed

"Okay..." Sherlock said as we let ourselves out the front door...