Chapter 9 - City of Vera

The city of Vera was just inside the eastern border of the Dawn Forest on the north bank of the Forest River, some miles upstream from the town of Jurud. The town of Jurud was home to a vast swamp and the people brave enough to live there.

The town of Jurud was under the protection of King Valinor, because the city of Vera depended on the town of Jurud for the harvesting of the rare flora for the dark green dye. The palace had many passages and wide halls. While most of the Elves lived in the woods, the king's hall served as King Valinor's palace and treasure vault, and was also a fortress for the Elves in times of danger.

The entry way to the halls had huge stone doors, with a golden vine pattern, that were closed and secured by magic. The throne room for Valinor was a great hall with pillars carved from stone combined with oak in an indescribably beautiful way. The wood looked like branches growing against the stone, but was inside the stone. In the lower levels were cells for prisoners and at the lowest part of the caves were the cellars of the King.

These cellars were locked up tight and only King Valinor had the key to these mysterious rooms. No one except House Valinor knew what the cellars contained and it was a closely guarded secret.

King Valinor approached Mahrek and Arianne from his throne room, which was up a flight of spiral wooden stairs. He stopped and motioned them into his study with a warm smile. The room was in direct contrast with the rest of the palace. It was quite small, but cozy. There was a big oak table standing in the middle of the room. The table had a couple of scrolls to the side, a quill and an ink pot. In the center was a big map of Tamra with several locations marked on it. The roof of the room was made out of glass. A strange mechanism hung from the roof, which was made out of crystals that could be moved by levers on the side of the table. The mechanism was used to study the stars and predict events that may occur in the future. Three out of the four walls of the room were made out of a round bookcase which formed a perfect circle up until the fourth wall with the entrance.

King Valinor had a huge smile when he saw Arianne. "Arianne, nae saian luume' (Arianne, It has been too long). Tula sinome! (Come here!)." He said, while lifting Arianne with an embrace. "Creoso a'baramin (Welcome to my dwelling)."

After King Valinor let go of Arianne, she looked him from head to toe. "Diola lle (Thank you). Lle maa quel Valinor (You look good, Valinor)."

Mahrek just stood there with an obvious confused look, even though he was trying to hide it behind a smile.

King Valinor smiled at Mahrek and gave him a friendly hug. "Mellon en mellonamin, creose (Friend of my friend, welcome). Lle quena i'lambe tel' Eldalie (Do you speak elvish)?"

Arianne started laughing and put her hand on her head. She told King Valinor she completely forgot he doesn't yet have an elvish tongue. King Valinor started to laugh as well before motioning to his servant to bring something. Poor Mahrek didn't have a clue what was going on. He thought they were laughing at him.

King Valinor motioned Mahrek and Arianne to follow him. He led them to a huge room with a long oak table and enough chairs to sit at least a hundred people. All three sat down at the nearest end before the servant came back with a black jug with golden vines running along it and the Aquamarine, which was a rare blue gem found in the swamp of Jurud, in the center. The jug contained a shimmering light blue liquid. King Valinor thanked the servant and took the jug.

He sat it down in front of Mahrek. "Yulna (drink)," King Valinor urged.

Mahrek didn't have to understand those words to know he had to drink from the jug. Mahrek had a thing for not drinking strange liquids, because the last time he drank one of Rita Wilshire's unlabeled potions, he turned blind for a few days.