Never Kiss And Tell - 3

Chapter 3

               “Did you sleep good last night?” My mom asked me as stared down at my cereal, using all of my will power to not drop my face into it and pass out.

                “Sure did,” I told my mom without a second thought. I had gotten used to lying to her about sleeping. Rarely did I do nothing after my parents went to bed. That was just a boring life.

                “Well I’m glad that you’re respecting mine and your father’s decision about grounding you,” she said back, no ounce of suspicion in her voice. She was so gullible.

                I wasn’t going to lie and say that her words mad my heart wrench with guilt, because they didn’t. Last night was extremely important to me, and I didn’t care if my parents wouldn’t have approved of it. It actually meant something to me, and I wasn’t going to regret going behind their backs for something so important.

                Deciding that if I didn’t eat, my mom might get suspicious, I picked up the spoon lazily and dipped it into the bowl of Cocoa Puffs. My mom left me alone when she saw me eating, so I devoured the cereal in peace. Okay, so maybe I didn’t devour them. I was probably eating about the same speed that a snail goes.

                After I was done, though, slid out of the stool that I had been sitting on just as lazily. I took my bowl over to the sink to rinse it out before putting it and the spoon in the dish washer. If my mom hadn’t been there, I would have just left it in the sink. But not only was she in the kitchen with me, I was grounded and I was trying to earn some brownie points.

                “Hey Ariella?” My mom called to me just as I was walking through the doorway to go to my room once again.

                “Yes?” I responded, stopping in my tracks and turning on my heels to face her.

                “I want you to go make sure that you have all of your school stuff ready today. I don’t want you to wait until the last minute like every other year,” she told me, giving me a stern look.

                Yeah, right. Her telling me not to wait until the last minute was like telling a baby not to cry, or a teenage boy not to daydream about Mila Kunis- useless.

                “Sure thing, mom,” I told her, trying to keep the sarcasm out of my voice.

                It was only Saturday, and maybe school did start on Monday, but I still had Sunday to get everything together.

                I left my mom after that, going up the stairs and into my room. I was planning on taking a long ass nap, but I seriously needed to lay out. I might not have been pale, but I could always use some extra color.

                Therefore, instead of crumbling into the temptation of my bed calling my name, I changed into my favorite bikini- a hot pink bandeau top with black, zebra print bottoms. I took a beach towel out of my bathroom closet and grabbed my radio before going out onto my balcony.

                I doubted my parents would allow me to lay out and tan since I was grounded, so I wouldn’t be able to do it in the back yard, by the pool. Instead, I would have to do it on my balcony where people from the road could see me. Great.

                I spread my towel out on the part of the concrete that wasn’t covered by the roof before sitting down on it. Once I turned on the radio, though, I lay  down on my stomach. I closed my eyes, listening to the hum of my music.