38

Before anyone realizes who the witch is, Rhys has the bindings on her. Only then does he take a step back and raise an eyebrow at the female in front of him.

He sneers at the female, "I thought I saw the last of you when I sent you home a century ago."

The others watching from the doorway to the dining room are confused, "It's one of the females that was brought here when I was." Lia tells them all. Not even William had recognized her. But from the first, Lia was the only one that he really paid any attention to.

The female hisses at him angrily, "You think that giving a bag of money makes up for all that we suffered?" She looks over to Lia, "You should have died. Mellisande was sure that she killed you."

"A friend of the witch bitch were you?" Lia says calmly coming to stand before the female.

"Ah, her accomplice. We never did figure out how those other two girls died. Now we know." Lia looks to Rhys, "She's guilty of murder as well as the other."

Rhys nods, "Doesn't surprise me, but I am glad to have that double murder cleared up. I never could find proof that Melli was responsible and that bothered me."

Rhys looks over to the guards. "Take her to the torture room and make sure her bindings are tight." 

As the guards come over Rhys holds up a hand, "I almost forgot." He takes out a knife and pulls the witch's tongue out. Then with one stroke he removes her tongue and heals the wound so that she doesn't bleed to death.

"I'll be down after I finish dinner." The guards nod and take the prisoner down. One of them taking the tongue with them. They'll burn that in the same fire that is heating the iron with the spell. They are already smiling with what they expect Rhys to allow them with the newest witch prisoner.

"You aren't going to participate are you?" Lia asks Rhys as they return to the dining room.

"Only in the branding. You are the only one that will have me inside them from now on, Lia."

Lia flicks her eyes to William, who is outraged, "You think I'd want that bitch?"

Lia allows her tears to fall. "I don't know anymore."

Lia hasn't felt this uncertain since her brother and father abused her.

"Shit, I'm sorry, Lia. You are the only one that I can be with. For hurting you I can hurt her, but not in that way." William tells her holding her to him tight.

"How did she get the spell on my son?" Stacia asks as they once more take their seats.

They all turn their eyes to Beckett.

"I think she was a waitress at a cafe I ate in shortly after I came here. I had no idea that she was a witch."

"Of course you didn't. Witch vampire hybrids are forbidden, she would have hidden what she is from everyone. She should have left you alone and then she'd be able to live her life." William tells them all.

"How long has that spell been working on Beckett?" Lia asks softly.

"If it's been since he came here, at least six months." Rhys answers for her.

Lia looks to Beckett and he nods, "That sounds about right. I had a funny feeling about her serving me, but then afterwards when nothing happened I forgot all about it. I should have known." Beckett says looking down.

"You had no way of knowing, especially if she's as sly as I think she is. Even Rhys didn't realize he was under a spell until it was almost too late for him." William tells the shamed wolf.