Chapter Seventeen: Predator or Prey

The next morning, I was packing my bag with my regular essentials. Xenette sat on a couch, doing her regular Xenette stuff.
"Ian," she called out to me. I looked in her direction and she held her notepad.
"The Romanov's are hosting a charity ball. Anyone who donates are invited. Here are some guidelines, it has a contemporary theme. You thinking what I'm thinking?" Xenette said while holding her notepad onto my face.
"We're going to donate and get in their house. You better start doing your makeup right now to be on time, woman!" I replied teasingly and made my way to the kitchen.
"Hello? Do I look like a normal woman to you?" she shouted.
              *            *            *

I dressed into black trousers and a matching tuxedo to go with it. I was adjusting my bow tie when Xenette walked in wearing a shiny red dress. She was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen...almost. I stood in owe for a moment. We made our way down and got into a limo that awaited; had it arranged in a short notice. I didn't know how long our stay in Romania would be, so I hadn't got ourselves a rental car. Xenette had made the donation and we were given an official invitation through an email. We got off in front of Romanov Mansion and boy-oh-boy, it was huge! Red carpet led into the main hall. My eyes assessed their security level. Armed men guarded the entrance and the entire perimeter of the area. One of the men kept checking the list of  names of the guests that were expected.
"Good morning, Mr. Rhoades, and Ms. Brownowski. You will be guided to the main hall. Please follow me," a bulky man in black instructed. We were guided to the main hall were most of the guest were already present. There were stairs leading to the next floor. We were offered drinks and we were sipping on it when Mr and Mrs Romanov made their way down from upstairs.
"It's my great pleasure to see you all here in our seventh annual charity ball," Mr. Romanov announced after grabbing a mic. His speech faded out of my senses as I searched around for a way to find out where Vedra was located.

"Ian, look. There's a doorway guarded by three men," Xenette pointed it out. There really was a door, quite different from the others. It was metallic and had electronic locking mechanism.
"This guy seems like he runs the whole of Romania," I said and advanced. Xenette gave me a slight shove on the shoulder. I made my way to the left of the hall and casually walked up the stairs with several other men. I was not in an unfamiliar territory. I stole before as well, but not in this scale, I should say. Surveillance cameras were pointing right at the door from four corners. I approached slowly and one of the guards looked at me.
"Excuse me, sir. No one's allowed up here," a tall, bulky man said with a stilled expression.
"Oh, sorry. I was just looking for the washroom," the usual excuse. But it works, though.
"That way, sir. To the left," the second guard directed me in the opposite direction. All I needed was an opportunity. Opportunity to be alone there. I took my phone out of my pocket and called Xenette.
"Hello?" She answered.
"Yeah, Xen. Stay on the line. Casually hold the phone in your hand and connect it to your Bluetooth device," I instructed Xenette.
"Yes, sir," she retorted.

"Done,"

"Okay then, now you keep me updated on what's happening out there. If the party moves somewhere else from there then it would be a good time for me to break into that room," I said and turned the door knob of the washroom.
"It's quite clear. The Romanov's hired these security teams not for themselves, but for, you know. The way in which they are protecting it seems as if they are using it somehow," Xenette announced.
"That was evident from the start... now don't draw in too much attention and focus on the party. Update me when necessary," I replied and put my phone back in the pocket after activating the Bluetooth device.

"According to the schedule, Romanov will be making a presentation in a different hall in about twelve minutes time," Xenette announced.
"That's a clear copy," I replied. I always wanted to say that.
"You could have said anything but that. Makes me feel like I'm in a movie now," Xenette retorted.
"Now just wait in the washroom. Once we move to the other hall, you come out and take care of the guards," Xenette whispered.
"Yes, ma'am," I retorded and waited patiently. Minutes passed as I waited, leaned against a basin. The door opened and I quickly turned the knob to get the water flowing and begun washing my hand out of pretence. The man came out after handling his business, washed his hand, raised an eyebrow and smiled at me. He immediately left, leaving me to figure out the intent of his awkward behavior.
"Ian, can you hear me?" Xenette said through the Bluetooth device.
"Yes. You may speak, my lady," I answered eagerly.
"Now's your go,"