Chapter six: Unexpected stop

******************************
Author's note:
Guys, I hope you all are enjoying the story, please do vote for it if you do. :)
******************************
There we were. On an unrelenting, unforgiving, lonely road. Destination seemed unclear. Did I know what I was doing? No, I didn't. It was early afternoon. I made a little stop on the way.
"What's wrong?" Xenette asks, her eyes squinted as if she just woke up from deep sleep.
"Good morning!" I tease her sarcastically.
"We are there but not there yet. Few more kilometers till we reach the area. You know how it is in the hood so be casual. I just need to buy some things from the store and I'll be right back," I told Xenette before closing the door. It had started pouring down heavily. Xenette, noticing the rain on the windscreen and then diverting herself in her phone again. Doors were closed but not locked. Visibility was low and she couldn't see much of whatever that went outside. Sound of rain relaxes her mind as she closes her eyes. All of a sudden, both front door opens up and someone pulls her down on the ground. She looks back and her mind processes what happened. Her phone fell inside the car and I was nowhere to be seen.
"IAN!!!" She shouts and at the very sound of her scream, I dropped everything and ran outside to see her lying on the street, drenched in the rain. I ran across the street and noticed the two thugs in the vehicle, one hotwiring it. I opened driver's side of the door and pulled one of them out and punched him in the face. His partner comes out and holds me from behind while the one I punched gets up and starts hitting me on the face, groin and leg. He pulls out his gun and aims at me when Xenette attacks him from behind and the gun falls down under the vehicle. I struggled out of the thug's grip and went for the other thug who by now had pushed Xenette down and was reaching for the gun. While we fought and tussled for the gun, I was outnumbered and one of the thugs finally got the gun and aimed at me. My heart raced mile a minute and fear creeping up my spine as I looked into his eyes. Just as he was about to pull the trigger, he got hit by a bullet from the right and fell on the ground in agony. His partner made a run for his life while I knelt down with my hands up in mid-air.

Three men in hoodies came to me.
"Get up, man. Get up," a familiar voice instructs me.
I looked up while the rain drops fell on my face, blurring my view.
The other two men helped me up. Xenette walks to me from behind and holds my hand.
"Thanks," I said to the man with the pistol in his hand.
"Like I said, bro. I owed you one," the man said smiling while taking off his hoodie.
"Jason, you son of a b***h!" I shouted with excitement. He laughs and hugs me.
"What're you doing out here, man? It ain't safe 'round this part of the world," Jason questions.
"I actually wanted to see you. I needed some help and I remember you saying that you owe me one. But I guess you just delivered that," I said smiling.
"Bro, anything for my man. What's wrong? Who's the guy?", he quickly asks.
"Oh, no. There's no guy," I replied, clearing his assumptions.
"Then...?" He questions once again.
"Man, I'm going through some difficult times right now. I know you are an influential man and have contacts. I needed enough cash to go to England and that too undetected. Need few fake documents as well for that. Can that happen, Jay?" I asked for his help, explaining my requirements.
"Wow. Money is a very precious commodity, man. I would give it to you if it was mine to give. I'll have to talk to my old man for that," Jason explains.
"I know I'm asking for a lot, bro. But the situation is like that," I said to him before we all got into the vehicle and headed for their base. On the way, we got to talk about the good old days. Refreshing some memories. Few minutes later, we reached the place. A heavily guarded fortress! These guys do everything illegal there is - drugs, weapons, killing, shooting, heists. You name it, they do it. And somewhere in the middle of these people, I was there, asking for help. Another door opens and we go in. A big man, wearing black, brown eyes, no hair, way too many earings, pierced eyebrows, nose and lip. Reminds me of one of those characters from the video games I used to play.

"So you're Ian?" A deep, scary voice asks. I knew he's Jason's father the second I heard his typical voice.
"Yes, sir. It is a pleasure meeting you," I kindly shook hands with one of the most powerful men in the city.
"Sonny tells me that you need help... in form of cash," William, Jason's father says.
"You look like a good kid. What makes you ask us for help?" William questions. I needed a lie. A lie that can be bought.
"Sir, my family was killed few days ago. I am looking for the person who killed them. Somehow the police sees me as a suspect, therefore my bank account has been frozen and I can't live an easy life while they're on my tail. I knew that you're the only man in town who won't judge me. I swear, once I get that guy and hand him over to the police, I will return the money to you," I explained to William.
"Boy, we can do that for you. Why do you want to risk yourself?" William, man full of questions asks once again.
"Well, in your line of work, sir, there are things which are just personal. There might always be an easy way but some things will never give you satisfaction until you do it the hard way with your own hands," I told William in his own terms.
"Hmm... I like you. You got the fire in you, boy," William smiles as he says that.
"Rico, bring the bag and give it to him," William demands. Soon, Rico brings a suitcase full of cash and opens it in front of me.
"Thank you, sir. I am really grateful. I will pay you back once I get the money," I expressed my gratitude and assured William of my credibility.

I grabbed the suitcase and headed towards the exit with Xenette.
"Son..." familiar voice of William calls out from behind. I looked at him.
"That money has blood stains on it, it has been to dark places. Be careful with it," William warns. I nodded and headed out and in the Rover. Before I could open the door, Jason comes.
"My man. There's a little extra in the bag. You'll need it. Meet me in the city at 8pm. I'll text you the location. I've made arrangements with our guy. He will give you your new identity. After that, you can use that money freely," Jason tells me while I turn on ignition.
"I owe you big time, man," I said to Jason before closing the door and driving out of their base. On our way home, Xenette looks at me the continuously.
"What's wrong?" I asked her.
"I don't like this. Whatever that is happening is surreal. I am worried about you," Xenette answers. I placed a hand on her lap.
"You don't have to worry about me. I can take care of myself. I'm Superman after all," I teased Xenette, expecting to restore that perfect smile. She did force a slight smile.
"Do keep me updated when you're in England. And call me. And keep calling me no matter what time it is. But not when I'm in Mrs. Griffin's class," Xenette told me while adding a bit of humour in her demands.
"Yes ma'am," I tease her back.
Xenette adjusts her seat a little more backwards and falls asleep. In the remaining hours of the journey back home, memories from the past haunts me.

"Daddy's gonna teach you how to play soccer. You're not playing football, you're not playing baseball, soccer is the sport for you, little guy," my father telling me as I take shaky steps toward the soccer ball. I kicked the ball with my little leg.
"Oh, yeah! You're like a smaller version of Ronaldinho, sweetie!" Mom encourages from a distance and gives a fly kiss to dad.

Xenette's phone rings and disturbs my concentration.
"Hi, mom," Xenette answers the phone with her sleepy voice.
"Okay, mom. I'll let you know everything," Xenette adds and hangs up.
"They really care about you a lot," I say to Xenette as she readjusts her seat to sit properly.
"Having a Muslim dad can be tough on a teen at times especially when that teen follows Christianity. There's always this religious conflict between dad, mom and I. Mom and I are Christian so according to dad's guidelines, I can't be out of the house after dusk. Halloweens and other festive occasions are an exception," Xenette says. Her face a clear expression of disappointment.
"I can understand. But our parents just want what's best for us, don't they...? I was much worse. Now I miss the calls on my phone, too," I told Xenette as she looks away. Reflection of her face on the window showed that she is in a deep thought. I decided to drop the topic since it clearly felt uncomfortable talking about it. In a few minutes time, we were only few meters away from Xenette's house. I stopped the car and got off. Xenette looks at me with confusion on her face.
"Take the wheel... and I'll see you before I go," I said to Xenette as she stares at me.
"What's wrong?" I asked while giggling at her sudden change of behavior.
"Nothing. I don't know... just come back, Ian. I don't feel okay about all this. I'm just worried about you since last night," Xenette answers worryingly. I smiled and called Uber while Xenette takes the wheel, takes a deep breath and looks at me again with a clear sign of tears in her eyes, about to burst in any minute.
"Bye, Ian. You take care of yourself, okay," Xenette speaks for the last time before closing the driver's side of the window and driving off.

I stood there and stared at her Rover as it disappeared at the next turn. I sat on one of the benches and waited for my Uber. Few minutes later comes Prius and in it my Uber driver. I got in.
"Drop me off at CenturyLink Field," I said to the Uber driver.