25

Tony was infuriated. "I'm gonna kill him. I swear if I see that bastard I'll-"

"Look Tony, I understand what Noah did was none of his business and I'm pretty mad about it too but I think that's a little much." Aliyah said with a sniffle.

"What? No. Not Noah. I think he did the right thing, I'm talking about Mark. How could he hit you? For that long? And no one stopped him? How could someone live with themselves knowing that someone else is living in constant fear of them?" After Aliyah explained everything to him Tony was pissed about it.

"Wait a minute. Did you just say you think Noah did the right thing?" Aliyah asked glaring at him.

"I mean... yes. Ali, you were in a toxic situation. That's a dangerous man, it was only a matter of time before things got worse. People like that feed off of power and control. You couldn't let it continue. Actually, I respect Noah for what he did. It would take a lot to see your best friend go through that but in the end, you know it's in their best interest. Honestly, I'm just kinda upset he waited so long— and didn't tell me." Tony explained. He looked at Aliyah who seemed to be juggling some emotions. "Look, I know what he did might seem like it was malicious intent right now but I can guarantee that in a little while you'll be so glad that he did. And I really think you should forgive him."

Aliyah sighed as tears began to slide down her face again. "I know. I know. It just sucks. I wanted to forget the whole situation and move on but now I'll have to testify and bear witness."

Tony pulled up at Aliyah's house. He parked in the driveway and exhaled deeply before hugging her. A tear slipped down his face, he really felt for her and it made him feel horrible that he couldn't help more. "I'm so sorry."

Aliyah hugged him back tightly and told him it was okay. "Thank you for dinner. I'll call you later."

Tony withdrew and nodded, quickly swiping his face. "Yeah yeah. I'll see you tomorrow."

She smiled weakly before getting out of the car and walking to her door. She turned back at Tony as she opened it and waved. He waved back and slowly drove off once he was sure she was inside. It was really nice for her knowing he cared about her like that.

~the next morning~

Aliyah woke up and wasn't feeling so great. It was Friday but she didn't feel up to going to school today and knew her mom would understand.

She made her way downstairs where in the kitchen she saw Gabe who apparently had the same idea as her.

Aliyah smiled at him. "Good morning." Before going to make some peppermint tea for herself.

Gabe just looked up at her and gave a quick nod. He seems sort of upset.

"Where's Mom? I was gonna tell her that I'm gonna go to school a bit later today." She asked leaning back against the counter as her water in the kettle began to warm.

Gabriel looked up at her blankly. "She's not here." He said in a very monotone voice.
"Where is she then?"
"She's out."

"Out where?" Aliyah asked as the water started to boil.

"She went to the county jail to see Mark." He finally admitted.

"Why the hell would she do that?" Aliyah asked with a twisted face of anger and betrayal.

"She went to give him their divorce papers."

The kennel began to loudly hiss.