28

After the movie ended, I said goodbye to Justin and told him I'd see him at school. I didn't specify when cause I truly had no idea when I would be returning.

Gabe and I decided to get lunch after the movie. He was really into staying lean and healthy for football so he was pretty careful about what he ate for the most part and I didn't have any problem with eating healthy every once in a while.

He picked out this cute little modern cafe. We both got sandwiches and I got some iced tea.

I took a while in eating my food because frankly, I didn't really want to go back home

I took a while in eating my food because frankly, I didn't really want to go back home. I was actually highly dreading it. But my plans were cut short when Gabe said "Mom just texted, she said to come back home. The social worker is there."

I looked at him and groaned loudly. "Alright let's go." Since the food was already paid for we just got up and left.

The drive home was silent, just like it was at lunch. I wished Gabe felt more comfortable talking to me about how he felt but somewhere along the way he decided that wasn't an acceptable thing.

When we got into the house, my mom was seated at the kitchen table with Mrs. Sanchez. I wasn't even sure when Mom got home.

Mrs. Sanchez stood up and slowly approached me with a hug, "Hello Aliyah." The way she hugged me though, carefully, as if I was some fragile porcelain doll that would shatter if she wasn't delicate with me. Something about it made me upset.

"Hello, Mrs. Sanchez." I replied softly.

"You missed our last appointment." She said looking at me meekly.

"You're right. I'm very sorry ma'am, something came up."

She just nodded before turning to Gabe in the same manner that she addressed me with. "And Gabe darling, how are you feeling?"

He shrugged with a small, glum smile. She patted his shoulder and then gestured for us to have a seat.

I looked up at my mom but our eyes didn't meet. She was looking down. I looked away and sighed to myself as our social worker began to explain what was going on.

"Now, the charges against Marcus Thomas in regards to child abuse against Aliyah and the battery and assault charges against Mrs. Thomas are being tried separately. Aliyah, being the only real victim for your case, you will likely have testify in court."

"No!" Aliyah violently blurted out, a bit too violently. She lowered her voice. "I can't do that Mrs. Sanchez..."

Mrs. Sanchez sighed. "I understand this will be quite difficult Aliyah but it is detrimental that you testify. We don't have a strong enough case without it."

Aliyah looked between her brother and her mother. She deeply inhaled and sighed. "I'll think about it."

Mrs. Sanchez seemed disappointed. "Alright Aliyah but I'll need to know soon. I know this judge and the trial is going to be fast-paced that's just how he does it."

Aliyah nodded. Mrs. Sanchez continued to give an overview of the trial and how it would take place.

Aliyah just zoned out and didn't really listen to most of it.

As Mrs. Sanchez got up to leave after a half hour of conversation, Aliyah walked her out.

They walked to the door together and she politely hugged her before opening the door and walking as Mrs. Sanchez walked down the driveway to her car, got in, and waved goodbye. Aliyah waved back and the social worker took off.

Across the cul-de-sac she saw Tony's house. She kept forgetting just how close he lived.

She sighed as she eyed the house, it was still lit-up inside. Then one light upstairs clicked off and the blinds were pulled in. Aliyah couldn't help but wonder if that was Tony's room and if he was getting ready to go to bed.

She rubbed her eyes with a short yawn and turned to go back into the house.

Saying that she missed him wasn't quite the right term. She felt as if she was drawn to him but not that she needed him.

After saying goodnight to Gabe and her mom, Aliyah went to her room and fell back onto her bed where she laid and thought about the situation with him for a little while.

She couldn't figure out what it was about him that made her so drawn to him in such a short period of time. And her last thought that night was of him, laying there next to her wrapping his arms around her. A tear grazed down her face and her eyes shut as she drifted off to sleep.