C H A P T E R 4

I smiled at my surroundings, Korea in the winter time is about just as pretty as it is in the spring time. Everything was fine until I realized I had to get going, I was heading to work. It was a part time job at the coffee shop Grace had shown me a few days ago. It turns out she knows the owner and was able to hook me up with a job. I'm just saying, it isn't my personal preference but it gets the bills paid, or at least I hope it will. I let out a sigh, trying to get rid of all the adult things I had to do. Back in my old apartment Sandra did most of the 'adult things', so now I needed to call her every time something came up.

Soon enough I had arrived at my destination, it was just a few blocks from the building. I opened the main door and walked up to the second floor, on which it lied. It seemed that this cafe was neither popular nor unpopular as there were about five people sitting in the given seats, leaving about three quarters of the space. I smiled as I saw a fellow co-worker behind the cashier. His look was a bit less inviting, wit him giving me those cold eyes. I approached him cautiously and raised my hand to say hello, "Hi, um, this is my first day on the job and I'm not sure what I'm suppos-" He cut me off right there.

"You'll be taking over my job," He said handing me his apron and slapping the cap on top of my head. I couldn't help but blush a little, but I quickly cleared my throat to confront the situation at hand. "Er, is that okay? Are you sure? Did Mr. Kim say so?" I bombarded him with questions, while all I really wanted to know was, how to do my job. I looked up at him, as I did with everybody- I'm short, and saw him nod.

"Yes, Mr. Kim did say I was getting promoted and to expect a new worker," He said looking annoyed, I saw him roll his eyes. I crossed my arms and narrowed my eyes, he wasn't an ideal co-worker.

"Fine, then leave the job to me."

I wish those words never left my mouth, I didn't have a clue on how to work the coffee machine or the cash register either. He shrugged and exited the counter to go into a room in the back. I could feel myself sulking at the new situation. What the hell did I get myself into?

After letting out one of my usual sighs, I tied my hair up in a ponytail, leaving my bangs to fall just above my eyebrows, My cap had fallen down in the process, thanks to that dim-wit who slapped it on me. I bent down to pick it up when I heard someone clear their throat. I stopped dusting off the annoying thing and turned my head upwards. Sure enough it was a customer. I gave a small, sincere smile as I got up and turned the rest of my body towards him. He didn't look interesting, if anything he looked sort of shady. He was wearing a hoodie with the hood up and black sunglasses. I narrowed my eyes a little, out of habit, and finally said something, "What can I do for you?"

From that statement I could tell he was a bit taken back, I'm not sure why but I tried to stay calm in case he'd complain or something. He shook his head a little before he responded, "Just an espresso please," He said this slowly; something was not right. Not only with him talking that way but that he actually thinks I know what I'm doing. All I could do was nod and hold one finger up to signalize it'll be a minute. But instead of heading to the machine I opened the door to the back room. There sat the boy from earlier with a magazine in hand.

"Hey meanie," I said making my way to him. He didn't even look up. "I need help with the machine," this caught his attention but only for a little bit. I snatched the magazine from his hand and waited for a response.

"I thought you knew what to do," He said with the same annoyed tone as always.

"I was irritated, now help me," I grabbed him by the wrist and attempted to drag him wih me. It was a failure, the bestI could do is get him to stand up. I looked up at him and all he does is go pft, like I'm stupid. Either way he started moving, and that's all that mattered.

Well it didn't matter in the end, because the customer had left. "B-but, he was just here." I said trying to explain what happened.

"Hn," He turned to me and said, "You can't serve coffee to a customer that isn't there," with that he pushed my forehead back with two fingers and retreated to the back room.

I stood there in confusement, why would he leave? Had I missed something?

-=-=-

CNU's POV

I walked the streets of a snowy Seoul, almost shivering since I had only brought a hoodie. It was nice to be alone every once in a while, so I had put on glasses so hopefully no one would recognize me. I looked at the buildings I passed, teeth chattering, and realized I had just passed a coffee shop. I stood there contemplating if I should go in or not. My head said no, it was almost practice time, but my nearing hypothermia body said yes. I nodded, as I had been actually talking with someone, and made my way back to building. I was hit with warm arm the second I got in and I could already feel the frost on my hands melting.

When I went up to the counter it seemed that no one was there. so I cleared my throat, hoping that someone would come attend to me. To my surprise there was a girl behind the counter, she was just crouched.

What an odd place.

I saw as she stood up that she was very beautiful. Her hair was a chocolate brown and was in a ponytail with her side bangs hanging out, her eyes the same color as her hair except they were lighter. Her skin was a milky white and seemed near flawless. I blinked my eyes a few times before I slapped myself mentally, it's against the contract to date.

"What can I do for you?"

Her voice, it couldn't be. It has to be. Amber? I looked down and ordered a simple espresso, I couldn't think straight so that's what came out. She smiled, that smile that was so familiar to me. She looked like she didn't know what she was doing, as she went into the back room, probably seeking help. I let go of the breath I was holding in and tried to asses the situation.

It can't be Amber, she left years ago. But what if it was really her?

Memories from my childhood rushed back to me, all of them containing the girl I wanted to spend my life with. We had been best friends since we were in diapers, but over the years it grew into something else. At least for me it did. I couldn't confront her again without saying anything about our past, so I just left. It was rude, I know, but this is one of the only times I would ever do that.