Chapter 15

I walked as gracefully as I could, desperately trying to calm the fire of embarrassment and gratitude burning steadily in my cheeks. Men were watching me, as if I were a piece of meat, a prize to be won by one lucky man tonight. Most of the women weren’t particularly happy about my being here either, gazing at Ella and I as though they were much better than us. Will had told me the women at court had been conspiring among themselves to pair each other off on Kit and himself. It was upsetting to see; in a world where men saw us as inferior, I would have expected women to see each other as equals.

While lost in thought, I bumped into someone. I turned to apologize. "Kit!" I greeted, smiling warmly at my friend. He returned my smile, although his was far more perfect and brilliant white than mine. I finally looked at Kit properly, up close; his hair reminded me of ink, and his eyes were a deep, lucid blue. He was handsome, and completely love-struck with Ella.

"Hello, Emily. It's lovely to see you again, and congratulations on your performance!” I bowed my head in gratitude, accepting the compliment with a gentle grin. “Where is your sister?" Kit asked timidly, his eyes darting around the ballroom. I watched him for half a second in amusement, before scouring my eyes across the ballroom. With the way Kit’s eyes shone at the mere thought of Ella, I was surprised he had even left her out of his sight.

I found her, standing next to a particularly large group of gossiping women, whispering, and giggling about her behind their fans. "Over there, next to the group of women." I said, pointing to the corner. He nodded, turning his head towards me to smile before he would set off. “Oh, Kit?” He paused and turned, waiting for me to continue. I smiled gently. “Take care of her.”

Kit grinned and nodded, looking at me as though I'd just given him the best thing ever created; however, no amount of beauty or self-assurance could hide the fact that I had left the future king flustered and red with embarrassment. He turned, striding towards Ella and ignoring the suggestive and cruel gazes from the other participants of the ball.

"I believe you've taken my job. Only I can tease my cousin." I heard a familiar voice to my right. I turned my head to the side, a mischievous smile on my lips.

"But it's so much fun." I said, a teasing tone interwoven in my reply. It was silent between Will and I for a little while as we watched the dancers, including Ella and Kit, flow around the ballroom. Ella’s face was a picture of joy, her mouth wide open with laughter and her eyes glistening with love. “All I ever wanted for her was happiness. I’m glad to see she has found it.” I commented quietly, feeling Will’s left shoulder touch my right with his closeness.

"As am I, for a most devoted friend.” He motioned towards Kit, who looked equally bursting with joy. “Although, I do recall a promise made to me a few months past.” He said slowly, and out of the corner of my eye, I could see his face turn towards me. I rose an eyebrow in question, and he continued with a wry smile on his face. “You see, this particularly beautiful woman told me she would save me every dance available when we attend a ball next.” Will said, his hand fluttering down to rest gently on the small of my back.

I faced forward, a smile of my own threatening to break across my face. “I do remember, for I made the very same promise to an exceptionally handsome man.” I turned, my eyes meeting his, which were bright and oddly similar to Kit’s. “Perhaps our promises, yours and mine, are the same.”

Will hummed in agreement, a hint of desire flashing in his eyes. He held his hand out, enticing me to take it. My heart was begging me to reach out, connect my hand with his, and for once, I listened to it. I placed my hand in Will’s, allowing him to guide me to the dance floor. He put a hand on my waist, yet I still felt it through my dress and corset. I put my hand on his shoulder, my eyes meeting his while we danced.