Chapter 2

Papa decided to marry a very suitable, amiable widow, by the name of Lady Tremaine. She had two 'lovely' daughters, Drizella and Anastasia, who were in constant competition over who they believed was better, be it in beauty or in grace. Papa married her with the idea in mind that Ella and I may have sisters to converse with, to share talents or to show the ways of the house. I had hoped that one or both of the sisters were interested in my hobbies, so that I may converse of a book to someone who wouldn't find it incredibly boring. 

A month after the proposal, Papa and Lady Tremaine were married. The wedding was small, with barely any guests to keep a smaller, more elegant approach to their new life as husband and wife. They were to move into our house, and hopefully like it here, as Papa, Ella and I had for so many years. As determined as we were to make an excellent first impression, Ella and I wore our best dresses, hers a light blue that was similar to the colour of thawing ice, whereas mine was a deep yellow, matching the flowers Papa had planted in the garden. 

We heard a carriage outside, so the both of us ran to the door frame. We both repeated what mother told us under our breath to steady our shaking hands and settle the nerves flaming in our stomachs; have courage and be kind. Mother's words always had a way of keeping us calm. 

"Welcome, Ladies!" Papa said, his arms opening wide to showcase the house to us. The two sisters, who I presumed were much closer to each other than Ella and I, seemed to hone their eyes on us directly, absently scanning over our home. Inside the carriage, they seemed to judge us continuously. 

"They're skinny as broomsticks!" Cried Anastasia, gazing enviously at Ella's body. Jealousy seeped into her tone, and pity for such an insecure young lady stopped me from saying any negative comment in return. Ella was not a naturally thin person; she looked after her body regularly, carefully selecting the healthier food options to keep her body as strong as it could be. The sisters could not seem to grasp that this was something people could do. 

"And that stringy hair!" Cried Drizella, agreeing with her sister. Ella's hair was thick and voluminous, as it always had been. I glanced at it now and snorted, realizing that the women were lying to themselves to ease any fear of their beauty being surpassed. "You're very nice." Drizella continued as Papa helped her delicately from the carriage. 

The two girls approached us as we stood side by side, fake and overly enthusiastic smiles plastered onto their well made-up faces. "Welcome! We're so happy to meet you!" I said for both myself and Ella, as we had agreed. I was the better public speaker of the both of us, which was odd, given that I was less social. 

"You have such pretty hair!" Anastasia said, lifting a lock of Ella's hair. I had to hold a snort in so that I didn't laugh at her contradictions; surely she understood that we both have ears, and could use them? 

"Thank you." Ella replied, a gentle smile donning her face. She had always been nice, even to those who scorned her. I could never figure out if that was a quality that would allow her to rise, or if it would be why she'll fall. 

"You should have it styled." Commented Drizella rather rudely, her own hair a strange mess in two buns atop her head, half hidden by a huge yellow hat. Ella peered at her in a slight state of shock, struggling to comprehend how someone might say that to someone they had just met with as much confidence as she had. 

"Oh I'm sure you're right." Ella said rather dismissively, looking to me for help. I nudged my head towards the house, notioning for her to fulfill the tour that we had promised. "Would you like a tour of the house?" She asked, trying to defuse the tension that had built up between us.

"What did she say?" Asked Drizella to Anastasia, her gaze remaining on the two women in front of her. They spoke as though they talked in front of two people who couldn't speak a word of English; like we weren't there at all.