Chapter 13

The morning of the ball had arrived at last, and I couldn't be more excited. I'd served breakfast and Ella and I tag teamed to get everything done so that we could go to the ball. About five hours before the ball was about to start, we hear a shout. "Emily! Ella! Help us with our dresses!" The girls cried out from upstairs, as though we didn't already have enough to do. I looked to Ella, who was already gazing intently at me.

"You take Drizella, I'll take Anastasia?" I suggested, rolling the sleeves up to my working shirt. I had taken one of Papa's oldest shirts, using it and my riding trousers to be able to work well and efficiently. Ella agreed, following me up the stairs and into the bedroom of the sisters. Anastasia noticed me behind her and opened her mouth to apologize, but I cut her off before she could say anything. "Don't. You are unforgivable."

Anastasia slouched, although she did look slightly upset that I had immediately rejected her. I swallowed my guilt and gripped onto the corset strings, pulling tightly and winding them into the next knots. The sisters soon amused themselves with chatting about the prince and the palace, yet no topic lasted as long as the discussion of their beauty. I had just tied the last braid into place when both girls dismissed us, refusing to accept any more help. 

I left the room with Ella, who excitedly left to change into her replica dress. I rifled through my wardrobe and hoped to the gods that there was something in here that I could wear. Something that would pass for a ballgown. After all, I was going to the ball if I had to go naked. I soon settled on a plain, tight and floor length white dress. It was styled more for weddings and special occasions where you stand in one place all day, not at all for a ball, but it was pretty and would have to do. 

I stepped out of my room in the dress, pinning a earring to the back of my ear when I saw the step-sisters. I froze, using every ounce of strength I had to stop myself from laughing. "My dear girls, to see you like this, it makes me believe one of you might just snare the Prince. And to think I have two horses in the race! I dare say no one in the kingdom will outshine my daughters." Lady Tremaine said over-exaggeratedly. They were dressed in layers and layers of plastic wrapping, so badly sown it looked like sweet wrappers. I stifled my laughter and hid my smile, descending the steps to stand besides the doorway, waiting for Ella. She stood at the top of the stairs, glowing in her pink dress and simply plated hair. I grinned at her, opening my mouth to compliment her. 

"Cinderella." Lady Tremaine said coldly, her eyes glancing Ella up and down. 

"It cost you nothing." Ella said quickly. "It was my mother's old dress, you see." I stepped forwards, my heels clicking on the tiles of the floor. "Emily had it remade for me." Lady Tremaine glanced over her shoulder at me, unsure what to make of the news. 

"Oh, la. Cinderella at the ball! No one wants a servant as a bride." Drizella mocked her wickedly, clutching at her sister's arm as though she had said the funniest and wittiest thing in the world. 

"After all I've done." Lady Tremaine started coldly, stepping forwards to begin to ascend the steps. 

"I don't want to ruin anything, I don't even want to meet the Prince." Ella insisted, desperation in her voice. She wanted so very much to go. I would give the world to tell her right here and now that Kit, who was already so enamored and in love with her, was the prince. Yet I made a promise to Will not to tell, and I will have to keep it. 

"Oh, and you won't. Because there's no question of you going." Lady Tremaine denied, lifting her gaze to mine as if to see what I had been thinking. I rose an eyebrow to challenge her, wondering if she would succumb to me, or suddenly become willful. 

"All of the maidens of the land are invited, by order of the King. She has as much right to be there as you do, Lady Tremaine." By neglecting to use her first name, she immediately knew she had gone too far, and had upset me as a consequence. She felt, however, that if she had already upset me, she might as well go farther.