Chapter 3: Finding Shelter

(first of all i would just like to thank y'all for 95 reads! it means a lot that you guys like my story :^DD!! and also i want to apologize for infrequent updates... my passion for writing comes and goes, so i'm not great at constant updates lol. with that said, i'm gonna try to progress the plot along a little more in the next few chapters... enjoy!)

You stayed cowered behind the bush until there was no booming or splashing. The last thing you needed right now was to see a gigantic—no, nevermind. It doesn't matter. Slowly, calculatingly, you raised your head up from behind the bush, and cast your gaze out over the water.

Complete stillness. It was as if nothing was ever out of place. The water rippled gently with every soft turn of the wind, and even the birds had begun to sing again. There were ducks on the lake, now, and you could see deer emerge from the brush on the shore adjacent to you bow their heads to drink from the deep blue waters.
Now that he was gone, you could collect water in peace.
You knew it wouldn't be the cleanest in the world, but you also knew you wouldn't last long out here without it.

You dropped your backpack on the shoreline and removed your water canteen, taking a few large swigs before putting the cap back on and letting its strap hang around your neck. Dipping your hands into the water, you cleaned off the grime and dirt from your arms and legs, then splashed a handful on your face to help you keep cool.
You turned your head upwards to peer at the sky. The sun was getting lower now, and cumulus clouds were rolling in. Farther east, they looked to be more cumulonimbus.

For those of you that aren't weather-inclined, cumulonimbus clouds carry rain. You learn something new every day! Aren't I a fun narrator, hmm?

Rain might not be good for you. If you got wet, and night rolled around, you'd run the risk of catching a cold at best, or hypothermia at worst. Finding viable shelter became your new top priority.
You had two ideas. If there was a cave nearby, you'd be able to sense the direction of the draft to find your way towards it. The second idea was a little less likely, but you thought perhaps you could find some sort of man-made structure—like someone's vacation cabin, or hunting treehouse.

Either of these was more ideal than being caught out in the rain at night.
You climbed your way back up the shore's ledge, and looked around and between the trees for any sign of shelter. To your left, you knew there was a cliff-face made of hard dirt and stone. Perfect place for a cave, if you don't say so yourself. Additionally, the trees and foliage seemed less dense on the opposite side of the lake, which might be a good place for a cabin or treehouse to be built.

It was really just a matter of which you preferred, at this point.
Logic ruled your thoughts. If a 60-feet-tall-or-taller giant lived up here, it's very unlikely someone would be brave enough to live or hunt in the area. A cave may not be the most comfortable, but it was certainly the better option.

You slung your backpack over your good shoulder, and started your trek towards the cliff-face.

As you walked, the dull ache in your arm grew stronger, and your legs grew weaker. Not only that, but the sky grew darker still. Thunder heralded the oncoming arrival of a storm to be reckoned with. You watched as the leaves on the trees flipped themselves bottoms-up so that they could collect more water, and as birds fluttered to their nests to keep warm and safe. For a moment, you wished your life was as simple as that of a cardinal, like the one that seemed to chirp at you from above, warning you that you would need to return to your nest, too.

Finally, salvation. A cold breeze sweeping in from your right.
You limped towards it on sore soles and found a tall cave entrance, with a craggy arch of stone for an entrance and a collection of pebbles scattered on the floor. The interior was small, but cozy enough for a cave. The smooth walls tapered to a rounded top on the ceiling of the cavern, and the floor had two levels, one slightly higher than the other. The floor itself was lined with a layer of packed dirt, with various smooth stones worn into the ground. It wasn't very warm, but it would have to do. You went to the farthest wall of the cave, set down your backpack, and laid your head down on it to rest.

As you dozed off, your bad arm resting on your side, the thunder turned to lightning, and as the sun finally set, the dark clouds turned to rain. Pouring rain! With raindrops large enough to drench you with three drops!

A familiar thunderous thumping sound rang out through the valley, as the giant up on the hill brought in wood for his fire. He knew, to a certain extent, that something was up. It was just a matter of who—or what—was skulking around.

Deer and birds aren't the only thing out here. Reader beware.

(sorry this one is a little short, the next one will be more exciting! thank you for reading!)