Chapter 2- Pitié (Mercy)

The Boston Hotel was only for those with money. The large oak doors taunted the needy easily by its appearance. It must've made people with less curious to what lingered on the inside. The Boston Hotel was the ideal place for business and pleasure. Travellers had all they desired, and the sweet classical Beethoven, Fur Elise, frolicked throughout the hotel. The walls were thick but had beautiful designs crafted by talented architects. The archways were exquisitely done. The hotel had a French provincial design.

The dark elm French doors were left open to expand the entire place making it look larger. The large, black, tie glow, crystal arm chandelier hung from the high ceiling. The polished porcelain stardust floor travelled all the way to the dark elm staircase on either side of the arch. Underneath the high arch was an elevator with black doors, same shade as the railings. The scheme of infinity etched into the wood. The black curling railings that had its own unique design, spiraled up with the stairs. The stairwells met at the top and the polished porcelain floor came to life again, leading somewhere beyond.

The host had made an announcement welcoming The Indonesian Ambassador, Banyu Mentari Pramana, officer of the Indonesian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, and there was an Indonesian National Armed General by his side, General Aziz Panuta. Everyone gave them a round of applause. Brilliant diamond necklaces, gold rings, pearl earrings, glamorous evening dresses and neat fitted suits. Perfectly curled and straightened hair, red lipstick and bow ties, they all were having an excellent time.

Standing at the bottom of the stairwell on either side, were two bodyguards dressed in black tuxedos and weirdly, wearing dark sunglasses. I was dressed in a black pant suit with a strawberry blond wig covering my hair. I too was wearing sunglasses, not that I needed them. It just allowed me to blend in better.

There was a cliché looking bodyguard; he was tall, strong jaw line, dark hair and well built, the other, not so much. He was much shorter, probably 5'4 or 5'6, he was black, maybe in his late 20s, his nose looked like it had been broken one too many times. It didnt even look straight anymore, not to mention how slim and weak he looked. But I knew better. I knew better than to judge a book by its cover. I walked up to them and flashed my identification card.

"The boss sent me to guard by the door." I told them. They looked at each other and nodded before they let me pass.

I took the elevator upstairs and I watched and listened to the fine laughter, champagne glasses clinking together, the sweet music as the elevator doors closed. I went up to the thirteenth floor and stepped out of the elevator into a gorgeous carpeted hallway. I went straight ahead to the hotel suite and knocked. Surprisingly, the security was awful. No one answered, and I entered in after checking the perimeter. I pulled my knives from my high strapped boots. They had patted me down before I came in so I wasn't able to smuggle anything large. Hiding small pocket knives in my boots was convenient. I heard footsteps approaching and a kid laughing. I hid myself behind the thick velvety curtains.

The door opened and Aziz was about to follow behind the Ambassador but Banyu stopped him, "I will be okay alone. I just need some privacy and rest. Stand guard downstairs." Aziz nodded and did what he was told. It was weird for an Ambassador who was the officer of the Indonesian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade to have such high security detail. The security wasn't any good but why did he need this much protection?

Banyu sighed and went into the bathroom, I heard the water from the faucet and after a few minutes he came out with his tie off. He started to unbutton his shirt, his back turned to the curtains. I stealthy leapt from the curtains and held the cold, hard metal of my knife to the ambassador's jugular. He jumped in fright but it was so small, one would have mistaken it for a shiver. I did my research on Banyu. He had no combat training. He knew not how to protect himself but I still had to be cautious.