Chapter 3- Makeover

When I was twelve, I remember being beaten with a whip on the soles of my feet by the people who adopted me. Whenever my fighting technique was wrong they would punish me. And by wrong, I mean not perfect. Xia Lin and I grew up together, we had each other, we were sisters and that meant we looked out for one another.

One day, we ran off to the nearby pond to play. When we got caught, we were punished. Xia Lin was separated from me and we got punished but I never knew what she got as punishment. She never spoke about it after the first time it happened. There weren't any cuts on her, or anything to prove she had been punished whereas, I couldn't walk. And after that first time, she never spoke again and I never asked.

We were homeschooled. I grew up with sores and deep cuts on my soles that burned like someone had poured lemon juice into my cuts. Whenever I cried, they would do exactly that. A sharp and pointed iron rod was emersed into the flames then it was thrust into the cuts and sores on my feet, sealing my wounds shut.

If I didn't pass out by then, they'd drench my feet in lemon juice. Many nights, Lin was the one who took care of my wounds so they wouldn't get infected. But they didn't care that my feet were whipped and bleeding and searing with pain from the hot iron, I had to train every single day.

Later, I found out that my punishment was a form of training. When I turned fifteen, I was tired and fed up and I let them punish me. I no longer wished to fight back. I was whipped and I bled but I embraced the pain. I was burnt and it hurt but I welcomed it. I didn't shed a tear and that was the day they stopped.

The people who adopted us were sick, cruel, disgusting and crazy. I knew it and Lin knew it too. So why didn't we run? Fear; the thought of what they could do to us if we were caught made us decide to stay. After all, we were better off alive than dead.

As the thoughts of the past came back to haunt me, I felt uneasy, nervous, scared even. Three days ago, when I was sent to kill the ambassador, I had two options. Kill or be killed and today, I have only one. Run. I left everything behind the very night I had disobeyed them, even Lin.

I had many identities so I chose one travelled around for the past two days in countries that had no relation to each other. I was hoping to throw them off my trail. Then I created a brand new identity, one that I knew they would never think of.

I had just got back from the convenience store. I had been staying in a hotel room for the past eight hours. I grabbed the bag of things I bought, went to the bathroom and tossed it on the floor. I looked at my reflection in the mirror. My skin looked paler from the stress and worry, there were bags under my eyes from the lack of sleep and my dark black locks had lost its shine.

I washed my face and as soon as the icy water hit my face, I realized how heated my skin was. I dried my face and reached for an item I had bought earlier. I let down my hair, held onto a lock of hair and stared at the pair of scissors in my hand.

Snip.

Snip.

Snip.

Snip.

I cut. My long beautiful hair was all over the floor. With every snip, my heart fell deeper into the pit of my stomach. The way my heart clenched with fright at the sight of my long black hair splattered along the bathroom floor pierced my inner soul. A single tear wet my lashes and slid down my cheek and hit the sink like a bullet. When I was done, I let out a breath of air I didn't know I was holding.

I was too afraid to look at myself in the mirror. I was afraid to see the person that I had to pretend to be for the rest of life, just so I could stay alive. Back then, there was the possibility of a family but now, I had to assume the identity of a guy. How was I to explain to someone why I look, speak, and behave like a guy if I was a woman? That dream of a family one day, it would never happen.

I knew I had to keep everyone a hand's length apart, no one could find out who I was. I hopped into the shower and as the water fell onto my skin and ran through the locks of my hair, I thought of multiple places where I could hide. I was no longer a woman, I was a man and I needed to blend in as such. What would a seventeen-year-old boy do? I washed my hair, lathered my body and then just stood there as the water enveloped me with ease.

I stepped out of the shower and wrapped myself in a towel, my hair was still wet. I grabbed another content from the bag of things I bought. I opened the chest binding package and slowly wrapped it around my chest. At first, it was uncomfortable but I had to get used to it if I was planning to 'fit in'.

I brushed my teeth and finally had the courage to glimpse my reflection. I raked through my wet hair with my fingers and admired how boyish and badass I looked. If I put on makeup and brush the bangs from my face, I'd look amazingly bold for a girl. However, that was not the mission.

I took up the shopping bag off the floor and proceeded to the bedroom. I stared at the multiple outfits on the bed. And that's when it occurred to me that if I wanted to make sure I played the part right, I'd have to wear male boxers and surprisingly that was the only thing I didn't buy.

I huffed a sigh and threw on a royal blue and white turtle neck top along with a blue and yellow hoodie and a pair of black trousers. The only thing that was our of the place was the black lacy panties I had on but the aim was to look as manly as possible.

(Picture below of what she looks like with her new haircut)

I left the hotel with my suitcase. I couldn't stay in one place for too long. I went to a bridge across-town called Lovers Leap. I leaned against the brick of the bridge, overlooked the body of water below and waited. It was a bit cold out. It was September and I expected this. They assume I went to a tropical island to get away from the cold and that's why I did the complete opposite.

Several minutes later, a girl walked up to me. She was wearing a blue winter jacket, a pink top, whitewashed jeans, and blue sneakers. She had honey-coloured hair, and chocolate brown eyes and lightly tanned skin. The look on her face as she handed me a large envelope, was one that said business. I took it from her and flashed her a smile before I gave her a thick roll of cash. Her face quickly morphed into a wicked smile. "Where's the rest?" She asked.

I whispered in her ear, "Check your jacket." I smirked and walked away leaving her there with a confused look on her face. I can imagine she checked the pockets of her jacket and felt the second roll of cash in there. Three, two, one...

"Real smooth, handsome!" She shouted at my retreating figure, with a giggle in her voice. 'I hope I seemed boyish enough.' I thought to myself.

I pulled up to a huge school, paid the driver and got out. It was a rustic, prestigious, rich kid school and the first thing I could think was, 'this will not end well'. I entered through the gates and walked for a long while just to reach the main building. Standing there, with my small suitcase by my side observing my surroundings. I realized there were a couple of security cameras on the compound.

"Mr. Robin Kent?" I heard a voice. I turned around to see the owner of that voice.

"Yes?" I replied, "That's me."