Chapter Two

I start walking down a deserted street. I guess now is the perfect time to tell you who am, and what I'm all about.

Hi. I'm 27, and my name is Daphne, but truth be told I hate when people call me that. It reminds me of my step-father, but I call him the monster. It suits his personality better, don't you think?

The only person I let call me Daphne is my step-sister, Lisa. She's the only person who truly loves me. She's a kind hearted person who always wants to help people. She is also very pretty with blonde hair and green eyes. Her skin soft and tan.

I use to have mother, but she died from Breast Cancer, and my father died before I was born by a drunk driver. My mother was always happy. She was always laughing no matter what. I remember when she met my step-father. She was so in love. That's when he was nice. They were truly the perfect couple, but when my mother got diagnose with cancer he blamed me. When she died he just snapped.

The day after her funeral was my first beating. I was 24. I just got out of collage, and was staying with them to grieve the lost of my mother. I wanted to study more to be a therapist, but the monster wouldn't let me leave. He threaten to kill me if I tried. I had so many hopes and dreams, like getting married and having kids, but those ended once he hit me.

Now you know my back story.

I've been walking down the same street for awhile. I finally get to a place with population. I walk past a couple of stores. At one store I look at the window to see myself.

I'm a mess. My brown hair is tangled. My blue/green eyes that were once full of life scream pain. My cloths dirty and old, and the skin they lay on isn't that much better either. There are so many bruises, burns, scratches you can't even count.

I hope that I can get back on my feet, but to do that I'm going to need a job. Who would want a beaten girl working for them?

As I start walking again I notice a library with a sigh that says "Help wanted". Isn't that just handy... It's a long shot, but it's worth a try.

I walk in to see an older lady. Maybe in her late 50's sitting at a desk. I walk up to her.

"Hello, I'm Daphne, but please call me Devon. I would like to apply for a job."

"Hello, Devon. I'm Ruth." She says not looking up at me. When she does finally look at me her eyes jump out of her head. "My dear child, what happened to you."

I quickly think of a lie. "O-I played football with a couple of friends, and we play dirty. So I got a couple little bruises."

She obviously doesn't fall for it, but plays along anyways. "Why, it's so refreshing seeing girls play a mans sport. Anyways your hired."

"Really? No interview?"

"Nope. We have a book signing today, so things will get busy."

"O. You want me to start working now?"

"Of course not. First we have to get you cleaned up. Follow me."

She leads me up stairs. She must live here because there's a bedroom, kitchen, and living room. She leads me to a bathroom. "Get cleaned up in here."

"Okay. Thank you so much."

She leaves me be. I hop in the shower. The hot water burns my new cuts and bruises at first, but it slowly feels good to get them cleaned. I wash my hair, and my body. I step out of the shower and dry myself off with some towels left for me.

When I'm dry I look in my bag to see if I have any appropriate close. When I open it I realize some of the cloths aren't mine. They're Lisa's. Thank goodness! She's so smart.

I take out a pair of my jeans, and one of Lisa's long sleeve shirt. I'm trying my best to hide my bruises. I put on a pair of sneakers. I brush my hair. Then I braid it.

I walk out to see Ruth smiling at me. "You're such a pretty girl."

"Thank you." I say smiling.

She looks at her watch. "Now it's time for you to work."

---------------------------------------------

Second Chapter done! I hope you guys enjoy! Vote and Comment!

QOTD: What's your favorite Disney Princess?

AOTD: I like Ariel because she's so curious and free sprites.