Fifteenth Corpse: The Match

❝Not bad for a dickless weasel.❞

+ + +

Fifteenth Corpse | The Match

+ + +

[Z-day +4 | Apr. 18 | 09:17hrs]

The sound of silverware scraping against ceramic dishes and expensive china was the only sound in the dining room.

Yuriko had insisted that we all eat a meal together. It wasn't lavish because we had to ration now but it was filling.

"It's such a shame that Miss Busujima couldn't join us," Yuriko commented lightly, "But I know she must be exhausted. Shizuka tells me she's been up, watching over Quinton all night."

"She has," Shizuka confirmed with an awed expression, "She must love him a whole lot—even I fell asleep halfway through the night!"

Everyone but Saeko and Quinton were at the table. And when I say everyone, I meant everyone privileged to stay in the main house. Unfortunately that included the fuckboy, Thomson, and stalker boy, Shiki. Thomson kept glancing my way looking agitated and Shiki only stopped staring at me to eat.

My finger twitched as I fought the urge to throw something at the both of them. They were irritating me.

I was flanked by Saya and Kohta, and facing the two irritants in question, much to my annoyance.

Saya nudged me under the table and I looked at her to see her with her phone out, opened and with a message typed but not sent.

'What is up with the staring and glaring? Shiki looks like he's trying to see into your soul! And Thomson looks like he's trying to flat out burn you alive with his eyes.'

I looked up at her with a frustrated expression and shrugged my shoulders to show that I was just as clueless as she was.

She took her phone off the table and typed out a response before showing me the screen again.

'Lol, talk about being in high demand. Check out the way Takashi's glaring at them both. You're the dish everyone wants ;)'

I made a face at her words before I looked around and just as she said, Takashi was glaring at both men like he would eat them alive. It was actually kind of sad to watch because I don't think either of them noticed him.

The Don stood and suddenly all eyes were on him, including mine.

"In about two days time, my people and I plan on moving on from here," he announced, letting his eyes roam over all of us, "The estate has become too small for the number of survivors and we need to make provisions for a more permanent base of operations while we take back our city from the dead. Luckily, I've already made plans for our next location and have already started prepping it for a move." His eyes fell on me and stayed there, "Miss Rivera," he addressed me and I couldn't help but sit up straighter. It was just the effect he had on you.

"Saya tells me you plan on leaving to look for your stepbrother," he announced and my eyes swung to her in a glare.

She held her hands up in surrender and muttered, "I didn't know he'd announce it to the entire world..."

"Yamada is your stepbrother?!" Takashi exclaimed in shock. "Is that why he was always following you around?!"

Well, the cat was out of the bag and now I really couldn't keep denying Yamada's importance to me. His existence came as a bit of a shock to me, the week before I started high school. Just a regular day of strolling around with Quin out of boredom when I came across Tsunoda and his crew torturing some poor Middle Schooler. I didn't know at the time that the jackass would be in my class, and I was not expecting the shock of finding someone who looked almost identical to my baby brother in the face of some random Middle Schooler. I ran. It was shameful but the minute I'd chased Tsunoda and his thugs off and I'd seen that face, I ran. I was confused and lost and in agony all over again. I'd later come to find out that Yamada was my father's illegitimate child, making him my stepbrother. It was like getting sucker punched and then steamrolled. After that...well, I couldn't not protect him. I tried... I really did try to keep him away from me but every time I saw him in trouble—which was an astounding every day, sometimes three times a day—I couldn't stop myself from intervening. One thing led to another and he started following me around and after a while I just let him. I couldn't really say no to that face. I just couldn't.