Whats Next to Come

I dressed simple. I wasn't going to be in a little dress to impress my father. In fact I only agreed to go because I needed answers. And it was better to do it now rather then later.

You would figure dinner meant a fancy restaurant, but of course my father was to Rich for restaurants. So we dined in the comforts of his home in his dinning room which was practically a ball room with his chefs. "The finest in the state." He claimed.

Things were akward. We sat at a long table meant for a party of over 20 but tonight it was only two. I had felt a bit of instant regret as we waited for the food. I sat and picking at my salad as he woofed his down. He sat his fork down and cleared his throat.

"I...." He started. "You look lovely." He said changing up his sentence. I gave him a fake smile and said thank you.

It was silent yet again. After about another 10 minutes the servers came out with the food. I had asked for sushi my favorite dish of all. While my father had asked for salmon. I took my chopsticks and dug in.

He dropped his fork and cleared his throat again.

"Why are you so silent?" He asked me. I didn't look at him. Nor did I respond. "Abigail please." He pleaded. That's when I paused on my chewing. I looked up at him as I wiped my mouth. If it was anything my mother taught me it was table manners despite the fact that I was with my father.

"Okay then." I said. "Riddle me this." I added with a pause. "Why?" I asked.

The question made him think long and hard. Like he was trying to plan his words. "Why what?" He asked.

"Answer exactly what I asked." I said. He looked at the other end of the table. Then back at me.

"Okay." He said. "I was young, rich, stupid, reckless, carefree. Alot of the things most teenagers wanted to be. They want to be free and I was. I was too free." He said. "At home my family was wealthy. But the wealth only sugar coated the dark secrets that my family held. My father was a rich man. He did what he wanted when he wanted. And I was his favorite. He loved my mother. Until they were behind closed doors. He abused her yeah, but he managed to plaster a smile on her face so her children wouldn't snitch, but I knew. When he found out that I knew he quit his act and lashed on all of us. Threatened us, beat us, etc. He paid me and my sister to keep quiet. And with the amount of money my father had I was practically a rich 17 year old boy with zero fucks to give about anyone." He said.

"I met your mother just before I turned 18, and I knew instantly she was my Bonnie. You know, the story of Bonnie and Clyde. Right?" He asked. I nodded my head. "Good." He said. "We were together for 6 months and we did everything together. We were free together." He pauses. She did anything I wanted to do and I bent to her will when she wanted to. Things got heated of course as reckless teenagers do and about a year or more into our relationship I began to...... Get bored of her. She slowed down a bit, and it was odd to me especially because we were still young. Until I found out she was pregnant." He looks at me but I still listen. "I accused her of sleeping with other people and she got upset by it so she left me." He said. "To be honest I didn't give a fuck. Then of course. But today as I look back I wished I would have been in a better mind state and instead of put her down and accuse her of something she'd never did be there for her and...... And my child." He said. He looks back down.

"Does that answer your question?" He asked. No. I thought. "Sure." I told him.

"Abigail. I don't know how many more times I can apologize but we are here now. So can we please make amends. For your mother.?" He asked. Before I opened my mouth, Margaret stepped in.

"I'm sorry to interrupt." She said. "But you might want to see this." She said anxiously. He looked at it then at her. "Okay." He said.

I'd gotten up fromy seat and excused myself from the table. I went back into my room and changed my clothes into my pajamas. I had school tomorrow, and I could barely sleep. I finally closed my eyes and laid there until I drifted off to sleep.