Chapter 8: The Elites

When Isaac's eyes opened, the sunlight slightly burned his eyes. He blinked and rubbed the sleep away. He looked back to what remained of the fire where Jackson and Sarkany sat waiting for him. He got up and joined them.

"Mornin'." Jackson greeted him.

Isaac nodded in response.

"You're not much of a mornin' person, are ya?" Jackson asked.

"No, not really." Isaac replied. He looked at Sarkany. "You're quiet" he said.

She looked up at him. "Did something happen after I went to sleep?" Isaac questioned.

Sarkany nodded. "You could say that... Firstly Akuma showed up."

Isaac sat across from her. "What'd he want?"

Sarkany continued. "I guess to see if we'd welcome him in. When he saw it was us, he left. Secondly...I saw two Elites last night."

Isaac took a slice of bread. "Ok? and what's the big deal?"

Sarkany got defensive. "The more you see, Isaac, the closer they are to taking you out! It's their way of letting people know they're screwed! The first is a warning, then more and more show up, until eventually you have all five and they kill you!" She yelled.

Isaac looked down. "That must drive even demons insane."

Sarkany nodded. "Exactly. That's why they're so terrifying."

Isaac stood up. "Then we'd better move." He said. The others got up.

"So we keep headin' south, then?" Jackson examined. Isaac nodded. They left their small campsite to continue to the demon, Hel.

After walking for a few hours, Isaac stopped. Jackson and Sarkany looked up. In front of them stood three of the masked Elite Demons. They walked even closer to the group now before disappearing. Isaac looked back at Sarkany.

"Two more before they attack us." She said. Isaac nodded and they moved forward.

The path around them was all forest. The sunlight shone through the trees making the area fairly lit. It was quiet, but unlike everywhere else, it was peaceful. It reminded him of the hill where his mother and uncle were buried.

The memories of them flooded back into his head.

"Isaac, where are you?" It was his mothers voice. Isaac went into his living room.

"Mom... I feel weird about today." His mother was always so kind. Golden blond hair, deep green eyes. She was kind AND beautiful. She smiled at him.

"Don't worry, sweetie, today's going to be fine, just like every other day." But she knew it wasn't true, Isaac was the Nephilim. When he got a funny feeling, something was very wrong.

Just then, Isaac's uncle, Christian, came downstairs. His voice was more gruff than usual from no sleep the night before.

"Mornin,'" He yawned as he entered the living room.

"Uncle Chris!" Isaac ran to hug his uncle, who'd been gone for nearly a month.

"Hey, kiddo." Even though Christian was a harsh man, the one thing that always made him smile was his family. He was wearing his usual dress shirt and pants. His tie hung loosely around his neck and his thick gray-brown hair was parted to the left. His green eyes matched those of Amelia, Isaac's mother.

"You said you feel weird about today? What do you mean?" Christian had heard Isaac when he was coming downstairs.

"I dunno. I just don't feel right... Can I stay home from school?"