5. The Adventure

Before she had known it, Val had found herself sweating and tearing up from the extreme heat, blinking furiously as she raised her arm to cover her eyes. It felt like the sun had seen her after years and pointed at her, bearing down all of its heat. 'I know you've been avoiding me. Now you get to pay!'

 "Are you okay?" Isabella's eyebrows arched in worry, lightly patting the back of Val's hoodie to relax whatever strange reaction she was getting. "If it's too hot, we can hang out another time." Before Isabella could finish her sentence Val was already shaking her head, wiping her eyes gently.

 "I'm fine, I... I could just really use some sunglasses." Isabella's eyes brightened like the stupid sun's, except this time the brightness brought her a fluttering happiness in her chest. She watched as she dug in the wagon and yanked out a pristine pair of sunglasses, covered in rhinestones. Val instantly felt ridiculous as she slowly and carefully took them from the small hands and set them on her face. "They look great on you!"

 "Thanks, but I'm sure they would look better on you." Before she could give a chance to Isabella to take what she said to heart, she quickly added on to the sentence. "I mean, shiny stuff isn't really my thing."

 "Oh, but I love shiny things! Especially bows, but I don't wear them too often. I really don't want to ruin them." Isabella confided, a small, optimistic skip in her step as she went down the blazing street. Val had no idea where they were going and, frankly, didn't care. Isabella's presence made her forget every route back home.

 "You should." She spoke quietly, shoving her hands in her pockets. 'I would kill to see you in one of those bows.'

 "Maybe I will." Isabella's smile brightened. "Thanks, Val." Valencia's face brightened and she downplayed it by gazing off at a random neighborhood home, nodding her head just barely so she could see.

 "Yeah."

 "I have a question!" Isabella spoke after a minute's silence, startling Val in the slightest. Val instantly directed her attention to the girl and smiled softly. "What is it?"

 "I.." She began before they reached the end of the street, familiar teenager's voices coming from behind a familiar house. The sight of it made Val's eyes narrow under the sunglasses. Isabella was interrupted by the notorious child of the sweet mother; oh, how much she must suffer.

 Phineas ran out to the front yard after he had spotted the beautiful girl, a wide smile covering his strangely shaped head as he waved at her. "Hey Isabella! Who's your new friend?" He spoke eagerly, an unusual happy tone to his happy voice. 'Disgusting,'  Val thought.

"Hey Phineas!" Isabella giggled, returning the wave with a large swipe of her hand. "This is Val! She's down the street!" He studied Val before grinning, waving them over. "Nice to meet you!come on, come help us build our giant robot!" The phrasing brought memories back to Val but she refused to let her enjoyments influence her time outside with the people she felt she had hated the most. When Isabella looked at her she gave a reluctant shake of the head, only muttering, "Sorry, I have to get back home."

 Isabella's disappointed smile sent regretful shivers down Val's spine. "Aw, that sucks! Well, hopefully you can come over sometime later this week!" Giving her a quick side hug Isabella rushed across the clear street to Phineas. "Bye, Val!"

 Val turned around and ignored her question to the redhead- "What'cha doing?"- and the sound of him explaining the project and why they wanted to fulfill it, only hesitantly taking off down the street.

 'Jesus, what a hell of a ride,' she thought with a chuckle, glancing up at the sky. 'I wonder why it's so dark...?' Her heart stopped as she grabbed the brim of the fancy sunglasses and pulled them off her face, examining them. The feeling of need to go return them was overcome by annoyance for the kid wearing the striped shirt, only pocketing them and staring at the asphalt as she marched home.

 "I'll give them back later."

@paperskinn I brought it baaaaackkkk <333