Chapter 17

The rest of their late lunch/early dinner went by uneventful.  The crew arrived home in the early evening hours, having stayed at the restaurant longer than they'd intended to.

"I didn't realize we were gone so long.  It's almost five," Isaac commented as she stretched out onto the couch.  Kayla made her way over and shooed him out of her usual spot.  Isaac sat up long enough for her to take her seat and then sprawled across again, his head landing in her lap.

"That was so much fun," Taylor added as he sat in his armchair, "We haven't all be together like that in a while, there's always someone else around these days."

"That's just cuz of the wedding," Kayla piped in, "Everyone's in a constant state of 'I feel like I should be doing something'.  Once it's over, it'll get quiet again around here."  Her tone was almost sad.  Kayla had been doing a lot of running around for Natalie and although it exhausted her beyond belief to do that and keep up with school work, the truth was she loved the feeling of being involved.

Zac emerged from the kitchen after packing away their leftovers.  He walked over to the couch and stood over Isaac's body.

"What?" Isaac asked, obliviously.

"Move," Zac said.

"Zac!  You can at least say 'excuse me'," Kayla retorted.

"What? It's my spot!" Zac cried out.

"Really, Zac? What are you, 10?  In that case, your name's not on it!" Isaac countered.

"What are you, new?  My butt print is basically etched into the fabric.  Come on dude, move, I have a serious food baby that needs to rest!"

Isaac grumbled something about Zac being a spoiled brat as he removed himself from the couch and took his usual spot on the ground.  Kayla re-adjusted her body with the weight of Isaac's head off of her legs, only for it to be replaced by Zac's.  He looked up at her from her lap and gave her a smile.  Kayla chuckled softly to herself as she ran her fingers through Zac's hair.

"Tay, when are you leaving?" Zac asked, his eyes closed as he enjoyed his scalp massage.

"Kayla?" Taylor replied, sheepishly.

"Wait, you don't know when you're leaving to go to your own wedding?" Zac asked in disbelief as he sat up.  "Dude, you're hopeless!" He flopped back down onto Kayla's lap.

"Ow, Zac!" Kayla cried out as he slammed into her legs

"Sorry," he replied, softly.

"You leave on the 24th.  It's a Friday.  9 AM I think, but I have to confirm that," Kayla said, answering Taylor's question.  "And you two have fittings tomorrow.  At 11.  Please, please, please don't make me spend the first two hours of my day trying to get you guys out of bed," she pleaded.

"Talk to the 10 year old on your lap over there," Isaac replied, "All I have to do is set an alarm and I'm good to go.  He's the one you have to literally drag out!"  Kayla looked down at Zac, a serious look on her face.

"Okay, I promise I'll be good," he said, his eyes still closed.  She smiled at the ability for him to know that she was giving him a face without even opening his eyes.

"Hey," she said quietly.  Zac opened one eye. "Can I talk to you really quickly?  Alone?"

Zac opened his other eye, "You okay?" he asked.

"Yeah, I just need to talk to you about something," she said as she raised her arms for Zac to remove himself from her lap.  He got up and followed her as she made her way to the backyard.