Desdemona- 1

• Dedicated to Diane Mina

Prologue

*I'm in the business of misery, 

let's take it from the top. 

She's got a body like an hourglass, 

it's ticking like a clock. 

It's a matter of time before it all runs out,  

When I thought he was mine, 

she caught him by the mouth. 

I waited a long month, 

she finally set him free. 

I told him I could lie, he was the only one for me. 

Two weeks and we caught on fire, 

she'sjust got it out for me, 

but I wear the biggest smile. 

Whoa, I never meant to brag, 

but I've got him where I want him now. 

Whoa, it was never my intention to brag, 

to steal it all away from you now, 

but God does it feel so good. 

'Cause I've got him where I want him now, 

and if you could then you know you would, 

'cause God it just feels so, 

it just feels so good. 

Second chances,  

they don't ever matter, 

people never change. 

Once a whore, 

you're nothing more, 

I'm sorry, that'll never change. 

And about forgiveness,  

we're both supposed to have exchanged. 

I'm sorry honey I'm passing up, 

Now look this way! 

Well there's a million other girls who do it just like you, 

Looking as innocent as possible to get to who. 

They want and what they like 

it's easy if you do it right. 

Well I refuse, I refuse, I refuse! 

Whoa, it was never my intention to brag, 

to steal it all away from you now, 

but God does it feel so good. 

'Cause I've got him where I want him now, 

and if you could then you know you would, 

'cause God it just feels so, 

it just feels so good 

I watched his wildest dreams come true, 

and not one of them involving you. 

Just watch my wildest dreams come true, 

Not one of them involving! 

Whoa, it was never my intention to brag, 

to steal it all away from you now, 

but God does it feel so good. 

'Cause I've got him where I want him now, 

and if you could then you know you would, 

'cause God it just feels so, 

it just feels so good.*

Misery Business by Paramore ended with a bang, and for the first time I heard my mom pounding on my locked bedroom door. I sighed, sat up reluctantly, and slouched to unlock the door, not bothering to pause the speakers connected to my iPod that began blaring the next song in Paramore's second album, Riot! which was When It Rains. This one started out softer, which was too bad. Now I'd have to hear what my mom said. Misery Business was one of my favorite songs, loud, fast, exciting, classic Paramore, and so true. When It Rains was more sad, but still, of course, excellent. My mom, Carrie, had just raised her hand to knock on the door again, and when I opened it she barely missed slamming her fist into my face. Lucky for, she stopped just in time. 

"Dessie, turn it down!" She shouted for the hundredth time today. She didn't scream because she was angry, far from it. She screamed to be heard over the music that permeated the room, and made my black rose earrings shiver. I rolled my eyes, and spun the dial of my fancy shmancy sound system down, and the volume lowered slightly, still too loud for a normal person's ear, but quieter than normal in our house. Mom smiled, dimples appearing in her round childlike cheeks, her blue eyes twinkling. She was the exact opposite of me. My hair is cropped short in a buzz cut, I wear a lot of dark make-up, black, blue, or gray skinny jeans, sometimes torn, and the only shirts I wear are black, gray, blue purple, or blood red. But usually just black. I have so many holes in my skin that my mom stared calling me her Swiss cheese. My eyebrows, two in one ear and three in the other, my belly button, tongue, and my nose, are all pierced. I bite my fingernails, so the black and gold paint is chipped, and my red toenail polish is fading. I was super skinny, despite the mountains of food that I eat. I had what some people might call dark beauty, but to me, I was just pretty, and an emo/goth/ punk. Right now I was wearing ripped black skinny jeans, red converse sharpied black, a black and white Escape the Fate t-shirt that was cut just above my belly button, thick black eyeliner and dark gold and purple eye shadow, a eyebrow ring, a diamond stud for my nose, a purple zipper for my belly button, a silver ball on my tongue that flashed when I talked, and two black roses, one silver, one purple, and one hot pink, rings in my ears.  

"You're welcome." I said, bobbing my head.  

"Thanks hon. It's just that Phil is coming over soon, and I don't him to think that my daughter is a depressed punk or anything. He already has an... uncertain impression of you." My mom explained, peering at my to gauge my reaction. My nose wrinkled, disgusted.  

"Jerk." I muttered. Shock and anger flitted across my mom's face. She was too innocent. 

"Desdemona! I'm surprised at you!" She scolded. I raised my eyebrow that was pierced. "Well, no I'm not." She amended. "But still! Sweetheart, don't you think that you could at least give him a chance?" She tried to reason, begging. 

"No." I muttered sullenly, stubbornly. 

"Just don't knock him out again, okay?" She warned, resigned.  

"No promises." I said under my breath, too quietly for my mom to hear. She smiled, and skipped back down the hall. Yeah, skipped.  

Phil was my mom's older boyfriend.