twenty eiGht

mackenzie drops her keys into the bowl beside her front door. she fell asleep at the hospital after she and johnny declared their love for each other. they spent the rest of the night cuddling and doing really cheesy couple stuff until eventually they both fell asleep, wrapped in each other's arms. that is until lauren woke them up only an hour ago, a wide grin on her pale face. she had warned mackenzie that she would be asking questions later. mackenzie was not looking forward to it.

"kenzie? sweetie is that you?" a voice belonging to her mother calls from the kitchen. mackenzie groans, remembering that her parents were due back today. she forgot all about it.

"yeah mom it's me" she sighs, taking off her shoes. her white socks sink into the living room carpet before landing on the cold kitchen tiles.

mackenzie's mom meliissa stands in the middle of the huge kitchen, a cloth in one hand an disinfectant spray in the other.

"you left this place is such a mess mackenzie" she mutters, wiping away the marks left on her precious marble counter.

mackenzie's rolls her eyes, taking a seat at the breakfast bar. she grabs an apple from the bowl, polishing it with her sleeve before taking a bite. her tongue welcomes the sweet juice as her teeth chow down on the fruit.

melissa picks up a box, one that's oddly familiar to mackenzie. she studies it more, almost choking on her apple when she realises that it's the beer box from that night she spent with johnny. that night when she had her innocence taken from her. they may have been drunk but she can still remember the night clear as day. and she doesn't regret it. not one bit.

"i can explain!" mackenzie yells, startling her mom. melissa turns around, holding the box in one hand while placing the other hand on her hip.

"explain what?" she asks.

"i'm sorry about the beers, i know i shouldn't have done it" she apologises.

melissa raises her eyebrows at her daughter.

"mackenzie i'm not upset that you drank the beers i'm upset that you left the empty box laying around, that causes mess sweetie" she murmurs, throwing the box into the recycling can.

mackenzie's stares in confusion. why isn't she grounded for drinking while under age? why isn't she being yelled at?

"you're not mad? why aren't you mad?" she questions, taking another bite of her red apple.

melissa chuckles, washing her hands at the sink and grabbing a dish towel to dry them off.

"because sweetie, they're non alcoholic but sure, if you drink enough then you'll feel a slight buzz but they won't get you drunk".

and with that melissa walks off into the living room, leaving mackenzie to actually choke on her apple upon hearing this new information. so she wasn't drunk. and johnny wasn't drunk. so that means....they both wanted it. wtf

mackenzie slips into a pair of leggings and a bright yellow hoodie, she puts on her sneakers and lets her loose curls bounce below her shoulders. she grabs her keys and her phone before heading out to meet johnny. he got let out of the hospital earlier today and wanted to see her so she agreed. she has to talk to him about the whole non alcoholic beer situation anyway.

mackenzie parks her car a few blocks away from where johnny asked her to meet him. she's confused when she walks the rest of the way to see a field and a water tower.

"kenz! up here" johnny calls.

mackenzie's eyes wonder to the top of the water tower, her jaw hanging open when she sees johnny standing there, waving his arms around like a lunatic. she giggles, running over to the ladder and beginning to climb up. when she's a few steps away, johnny reaches out and pulls her up, mackenzie almost falling but his tight grip on her prevents that from happening. her arms are around his neck and his hands are on her hips.