Chapter Three

“Uh, Um…” He stuttered. My gaze softened unwillingly, he was literally lost for words. It was, I admitted very amusing and slightly, just slightly, endearing.

 “…I didn’t know you were going to wake up.” He finished sheepishly, glancing shyly at me through lowered lashes. I could feel his embarrassment and sincerity in his gaze and as it made me slightly uncomfortable, I looked away after a second, taking a breath.

“Oh, So you just French kiss sleeping girls for fun, do you?”

He ignored my question and looked at me again and any trance of embarrassment or humility was utterly and completely gone.

“But you’re awake so it worked didn’t it?” I tried to break in with, I thought you didn’t think I would wake up, but before I could speak he continued.  “And don’t try and tell me you didn’t enjoy that.”  Now it was my turn to be embarrassed and at a loss for words, I felt my face turn red as he laughed.

“I, uh-“ I started before realizing that he would see straight through any excuse I tried to come up with. Besides, he was right, it was a nice kiss.

“Who are you anyway?” I finished lamely, hoping he wouldn’t see through my change of subject. His knowing smile erased any foolish hope I might have harbored.

 “You mean you don’t recognize me?” He asked cheekily, with a wide smile on his face.

I took a moment to study his face. He was quite fit, with an angular jawbone, high cheekbones, and sparkling gray-blue eyes. His face seemed slightly familiar but not enough that I could place it with a name.

“No,” I said, bemused, “Should I?” I watched his face change, unreadable before a smile lit it again.

“Ahh well,” He said before continuing on to say something else. I didn’t notice because thinking about if I knew him had made me think about who I did know.  Shouldn’t I have thought of my mom by now or at least some family member, like a sister or an aunt? That’s when I realized I didn’t remember anything. Not. A. Single. Thing.

                                                          {}{}{}{}{}{}{}

“Shit.” I slouched back onto a plush pillow as unbidden tears gathered in my eyes and trickled down my face. All at once his face softened from a cocky smile to a look of concern and he stepped towards me in my… I looked around me. I was in a hospital bed in a pristine white room with shiny floors and empty shelves. Next to my bed were various pieces of hospital equipment with tubes and wires trailing around and gathers in spools on the floor. My eyes followed the single taunt tube to my body disappearing into the soft skin in the crook of an elbow. That was how I felt, disconnected, as if this were happening to someone else and I was a bystander looking on in sickening pity. His voice brought me back to my body and the tubes felt nauseatingly real.

“What is it?” His voice was concerned, and I was fairly sure the owner was too. From what I had seen he had an expressive face. The only time it was unreadable was when I had said that I didn’t know who he was but it had been for only a second and even then he was back to his cheerful self pretty quickly. “Are you in pain? What’s wrong?”

I couldn’t remember anything about my past or who I was. Not one single thing. I tried to call up names, familiar faces, places, voices, anything. Nothing came to mind. It was as if a thief had crept in one night while I was sleeping and stolen away the person I was.

I lent my head on his chest and let the tears fall as he tentatively wrapped his arms around me, still confused as to why I was crying. He cautiously patted my back. I wanted to laugh through my tears at the stereotypical gesture of reassurance and condolence that somehow, strangely, helped.   

‘I can’t remember anything.” I sobbed. “Not one single thing.”

“Okay,” He soothed, “Let’s start with the basics. What’s your name?” I only sobbed louder. I had no memories, no personality, no identity. My years of school, first kiss, little brothers, anything I might have had was gone. It was not only heart breaking, it was degrading.

“Its gonna be okay.” He repeated, rubbing his hand in circles on my back, more confidant this time. My sobs quieted turning into small hiccups, the sound bouncing off the walls of this strangely silent room, mingling with his ‘shh’s making me feel, not quite as alone. The hiccups made him chuckle. He had a nice laugh not too deep and rich with sincerity. The sound of his laughter calmed me down even more and he continued to hold me against his chest until even the hiccups were far and few between.

“T-thanks,” I whispered, my voice cutting through the silence left behind.

“It was my pleasure,” The cheeky grin back in place. I was about to cut in with a sarcastic retort when I realized something.

“I don’t even know your name!” I said sounding surprised even to myself. He just laughed.

“Louis Tomlinson.” The strange emotion I had seen earlier flitted across his face, fast enough that I wasn’t sure it had even been there in the first place. He must have seen something on my face because he asked.

“Does that name mean anything to you?”

 A/N: Sorry to end it here guys I was gonna write more but I had volleyball in the morning so I needed to get some sleep :) Rember to VOTE , COMMENT, and FAN if you liked it!