(Prologue) Headcase

Christian's phone rang. He thought about reaching for it to decline the incoming call, but he knew his girlfriend would be offended if he stopped making love to her mid-thrust. He kept going, and eventually the ringing ceased.

"Thank God," Aimee, his girlfriend, muttered as Christian picked up his pace.

It wasn't long before his phone rang again. "Goddamnit," Christian groaned as Aimee squeezed her walls around him.

"Just focus on us, baby," Aimee whispered as she wrapped her arms around him and pulled him even tighter against her. "Ignore it."

He was getting close to climax when his phone rang again. "It's gotta be important," he informed Aimee. "I'm sorry."

Aimee rolled her eyes and pushed him away from her. "It's always something."

Christian ignored her comment and pulled his phone off the charger on the nightstand. His eyes widened as he saw the name displayed on the screen.

"Hello?" Christian answered, his inflection making the word sound more like a question than a greeting.

"Hi," the female voice said softly. She was barely audible.

"Daphne," was all he could manage to say.

"I know this is out of nowhere, and I know I'm out of favors, but can you come get me? I have no one else." Her voice broke.

"Where are you?"

"Cedars-Sinai. The medical staff won't let me drive myself home or order a Lyft. I'm so sorry. I know it's late. I just need out of here."

There were so many questions he wanted to ask, but he settled on, "I'll be there as quickly as I can."

"Thank you. I'm so sorry. So, so sorry."

"Stop saying that. It's nothing. I'll be there soon. Probably 45 minutes. I'm in Malibu now."

He heard her hang up, and he immediately started to throw his clothes back on. He didn't have much time.

"Where do you think you're going?" a furious Aimee asked him. Her eyes shot him daggers.

"Daphne is in the hospital. I have to get her." He paused to let Aimee roll her eyes. "She's my oldest friend, Aims."

"She's a problem. And a headcase. And she isn't a good influence on you. Didn't she run away to El Paso or something? Why is she even here?"

"I haven't heard from her in a year, but, if she needs help, I'm going to give it to her. Come with me?" he asked, his eyes pleading with her.

"Oh, hell no. That crazy bitch is your issue."

"I love you, Aims. I'll be home soon." He tried to kiss her, but she'd only offer him her cheek. It would have to do. He had to go. He knew how Daphne operated.

If he left now, he could be at the hospital by 1:00 am.

Hopefully she'd still be there when he arrived.

If there was one thing he knew about Daphne Livingston, it was that her most well developed instinct was to run away.

Tonight was probably no exception.