o n e

P a r t  o n e

P a r t  o n e

"I'm sorry miss, but you can't report a missing person until it has been twenty four hours," the operator said again for the fourth time.

"Are you kidding me!"

"Look... miss. You say your daughter is seventeen, yes?"

"Yes."

"She's almost of age. Maybe she ran away. Have you checked all of her friends houses? Places she frequently visits?"

Georgia sighed in frustration. "Yes, yes i have. I know my daughter, okay. I know my little girl wouldn't just run away. She has a fear of being alone for gods sake! Can you at least send out an alert, please?"

"Yes, in twenty four hours."

Her mouth dropped as the operator hung up on her and so did her heart.

Her poor little girl. She hoped she was safe

▪¤▪¤▪

Nine hours previously

"Bye mama!" Bailey shouted as she skipped down the stairs, her lavender sun dress flowing around her loosely.

"Bye! And remember what i said. Don't go past the beach. Stay on the sand. Don't go in the water. Stay away from hobos, creeps, stalkers, men in speedos and the ones that look like they do drugs. Be careful. I love you!"

Bailey giggled as she stopped at the screen door. "Okay mama. I love you!"

She excitedly exited her home that was just a few minutes from the beach. Sometimes if the house was quiet enough during the night, and the breeze was calm enough; Bailey could hear the waves crashing against the rocks.

The sound was gentle and always lulled her to sleep like the lullabies her mother used to sing to her when she was growing up.

When she got to the beach, she immediately flicked off her holographic sandals and jumped into the air, her white painted toes sinking into the soft powdery sand as she landed.

In the distance she could see her big brother Presley and his friends kicking around a football close to the shore, so she picked up her sandals and excitedly ran towards them.

"Presley!" She called as she neared him.

He looked up from the football he was expertly juggling and smiled brightly as he saw his adorable little sister running over. "Hey Bee," he chuckled as she locked her small arms around his bare, fit torso.

"I haven't seen you all week," she said as she pulled away from him and shyly waved at his friends from college.

"I know. College has been so busy. Mom let you walk here by yourself?" He asked as her ruffled her ginger and copper hair and then passed the ball to one of his mates.

"Yes," she grinned. "She's given me more places i can walk now. I can go between our house and all the way to the beach; all by myself!"

"Thats good Bee. I'm proud of you. Give me one more hug before i have to go."

She eagerly gave him a hug, her head pressed to his chest before reluctantly letting go. "I miss you at home Pres. Theres no one to play video games with anymore," she pouted.

"I miss being there too. Tell you what, i'll pop by on saturday and we can play video games all week if you'd like. Hows that?"

She squealed exitedly. "Yes please. I'll even bake you something delecious."

"Please let it be cheesecake," he smiled.

"It's a surprise," she said, even though they both knew it was going to be cheesecake.

"Alright, i gotta go Bee. Please be careful and call if anyone bothers you okay."

"Okay Pres."

Bailey thought she was being careful. She truly did. But she wasn't careful enough she supposed.

 But she wasn't careful enough she supposed