Chapter One

A red figure zipped through the tall grass. Running and running until her legs gave out and she crashed into the dirt. The reptilian shook her head, flaring out her wings and sending dirt flying. "Yuck!" She exclaimed.
She jumped to her feet and gazed around at the pretty flowers with wide, pumpkin colored eyes. "Spring." She chanted as a small breeze picked up, carrying the scent of fresh rain from the night before. Warm light filtered through the clouds and added a shade brighter to the hatchling's orange horns and the scales along her spine.
The young dragon crashed through a patch of purple heather rather clumsily as she regained her clawhold of the earth. Her rapid movements caused a young butterfly to take to the air, drawing attention from the hatchling as the light gleamed off its blue wings.
She crouched down. "Enemy cold dragon has been sighted." She said in a hushed voice. Her hind quarters wiggled as she jumped into the air. Of course, the mud made her slip and throw her off balance as she rushed towards the ground long before she could feel the wind beneath her wings. Her tail fell over the top of her nose and she watched at the blue butterfly fly off. "Darn it. Ice isn't supposed to defeat fire." She muttered in defeat.
"Cockatiel!" A voice close to a wail called. The young dragon lifted up her head and frowned before scampering off. Another dragon padded out of the cave, being only a little bit taller than the hatchling before. She gazed about the valley, searching for the red and orange hatchling. She herself was red and yellow.
The slightly older dragoness huffed as she shakily took to the sky. The wind threatened to send her to the ground as She sharply snapped her leathery wings, working against gravity. Her muscles and endurance were lacking, as expected of such a young dragon, and she was forced to land soon after. To add salt to the wound, her shoulder were beyond tired and she had to spend a moment to gather her breath.
Cockatiel hadn't wandered far, but she was close to the border of the valley. She also hadn't taken to peering at her surroundings as she jumped after a small grasshopper, hardly bigger then her claw. She then caught it and lightly lifted up her paw to peer at it, just as the insect jumped away to be free once more. Cockatiel smiled, enjoying the simple minded of life.
Unknown to her, that simple mindedness would only cause trouble as the laws of nature were cruel. A growl split the air as drool ran from the muzzle of a lardge wolf, hungry from the winter. The red and orange dragon hatchling turned around and gasped in shock, her own fear scent overwhelming. Cockatiel opened her maw, but only sparks could be ignited, she was much too young to produce an active flame.
The wolf stalked foreward, a sick look of amusement glowing within its amber eyes. The hatching was stricken with fear, too young and too vulnerable. She was now to be added to the list of dragon hatchling to be sent to any kind of afterlife there was.
The wolf then yelped out in pain as a being of red and yellow scales tackled its back, bringing it down. The wolf whimpered as a certain older sibling stood over it. "Ever!" Cockatiel called, happy to see her sister. Ever had a stern look and Cockatiel cowered down.
The wolf slipped out from under the red and yellow dragon and snapped at her horn, his teeth snagging on a bit of soft scales. Ever hissed in pain as blood trailed down over her left eye. The dragoness locked her jaw on the wolf's tail, making it yelp in pain before running off.
Ever paid no mind to the blood seeping out of her wound as she grabbed a hold of Cockatiel's forearm, dragging her back in the direction of the cave.