Chapter Four

"It's a medallion." Tashimaui spoke as she held up the leather strip fitted on a coin like piece of metal. A small carving of a dragon holding onto a dagger sat in the middle of the medallion as letters were etched all around.
"I don't recognize the lettering." Oleander spoke as he puzzled over the piece. "Maybe we could take it to mother." He offered.
Tashi shook her head sharply. "No way." She yanked the medallion over her head and stood up straight. "Mine now." She claimed.
"Your such a child." Oleander called out with a playful glare. "If i'm a child then you're baby." Tashimaui bit back.
"Am not!" He screeched in defiance. In a rush of fury he reached out to snatch the medallion but Tashimaui pulled her head back. "Nope," she chirped as she raced off, her little brother hot on her tail. They ran for the valley walls and clambered up the soft grass and unearthed stones.
It took a bit of time to get to the top without wings, but when they did the two dragon hatchlings were gasping for breath. "Careful, it's easy to lose your footing." Tashi advised while holding onto her younger sibling. Oleander nodded without a word as they gazed out onto the plateau.
"Not an inch of frost." Tashimaui said in disbelief. "Of course there isn't. We live in the warm regions. The cold regions are beyond the mountains and the lardge lake mom talked about. Speaking of talking about it, I want to ask mom about it some more." Oleander announced. The white and yellow hatchling snickered. "Your starting to sound like a water dragon with all this about the big lake."
"Laugh it up. It's not like we live close to the beach or anything. But then again, I never really like the sand getting in between my scales." Oleander spoke as he carefully started making his way back down into the valley below. "Me either, and then the sand gets tracked back into the cave and my sleeping spot gets all dirty. Hey, wait up!" She slipped down to the same ledge. She held her wing out for her brother to stop and he looked at her questioning.
"We're dragons, not drakes!" She exclaimed as she jumped, spreading her wings out and starting the exciting glide down into the valley. Oleander jumped, but started to fall towards the fast approaching ground as he struggled to get his leathery wings open. As he managed to open them the wind picked up and he was pushed foreward and crashed into Tashi.
"Hey, watch it!" She remarked as the white dragoness rightened herself. "Not my fault." Came the reply as they slowly game to the ground outside the cave. "Talk about an exercise." Tashimaui said as she stretched her wings. "Yeah, the steering is getting easier but I have trouble calculating how far I can go with an angle." 'Ander mumbled as he started for the entrance.
They went inside to see their mother counting her gold and shiny things. "You two..." She mumbled in a makeshift greeting as her circular pupils stared at them. "Hi mom!" Tashimaui chirped. Abiliene glared down at the young hatchlings. "What is that around your neck?"
Tashi let her claws skim over the cold metal. "I found it, under a bird carcass. I didn't think you would want it." Abilene growled as she held her claws out, palm up, demanding the little trinket. The white hatchling slowly pulled off the medallion and handed it over. Abiliene brought it to her hoard and placed the leather and metal right on top of all her luxurious golden pieces. She was even sure to give her daughter one last glance with a smirk of victory.
She then settled herself coiled around her treasures like a viper, but her moment of poise and grace was shattered when the choking sounds of a cough hallowed her lungs. It sounded quite painful but Abiliene brushed it aside by forcing her eyes to close and laid her head down.
Oleander watched the whole display in silence before glancing at his sister who was equally as shocked. How could his mother take something from Tashi, it wasn't even her style of treasures. "Do you think she's sick?" Tashimaui asked suddenly, pushing down her thoughts to ask a question full of worry.
"How..." He mumbled. "How can you worry when mom just took something that rightfully belonged to you?" He asked. The white dragoness blinked in quite thought. "She's my mother. I'm supposed to worry."