Chapter 12: Conflict

"Stop fussing over me, I'm fine." Petra argued, as Lukas ordered her to lie down.

"You're not fine Petra." Lukas said, pressing down on her shoulder to gently force her to the ground. "You're coughing up blood. It's a very bad sign."

Petra muttered something in annoyance under her breath, giving in and lying down. Lukas walked over the discarded supply bag, starting to rummage through it.

"Do you know what could be causing this?" He asked as he searched for something.

"Piece of Netherrack landed on me." Petra replied. "Most of the impact was to my chest... could be that."

By the end of her sentence she seemed to be completely out of breath. Jesse gently allowed Petra to rest her head in her lap.

"How are you feeling?" Jesse asked in concern.

"Fine." Petra replied bluntly.

"We all know you're lying." Jesse said, noticing how relieved Petra seemed at being able to lie down. "You're obviously in pain."

Petra rolled her eyes, gritting her teeth. Her frustration seeming to overcome her pain at that moment.

Jesse sighed softly, not bothering to continue bugging her friend.

"What the hell?"

Jesse and Petra both looked up at the sound of Lukas's voice. He had stopped rummaging through the supply bag, now looking up at them, more specifically at Petra.

"Where's the first aid kit?" He asked. "I remember us packing it this morning."

Petra's face reddened slightly. "I removed it."

"Why?!" Lukas asked in horror, throwing his hands into the air.

"I didn't want to carry a heavy load, OK?" Petra snapped defensively. "I only kept the most vital items."

"Petra, a first aid kit is vital!" Lukas said with a groan, pulling his hands through his hair. "Now there's nothing I can do to relieve your pain!"

Petra didn't say anything, although the scowl on her face was unable to mask a look of regret.

"Let's not fight about it?" Jesse said softly. "It's not going to help us in any way."

Lukas sighed, turning around and just raking his hands through his hair again, causing it to stand on end. The moment his back was fully turned, Petra just stuck her tongue out at him. Injured or not, Petra was going to be Petra.

"We need to find a way of of this Nether." Lukas muttered, finally turning back to face the two girls.

"Thanks, Captain Obvious. What's next on the agenda?" Petra asked, her voice dripping with sarcasm.

"You're the last one to talk, you need to get to a hospital." He said firmly, making Petra roll her eyes. Despite the harsh tone of Lukas's voice, Jesse could tell he was really concerned for them.

"So, where do we go from here?" Jesse asked, trying to break the awkward silence between the redhead and the blonde.

"We don't know in which direction to go." Lukas replied bluntly. "And we can't walk around for hours searching, without putting her at risk."

"Could you stop putting this all on me?" Petra snapped, starting to sit up. Jesse just gently took her by the shoulders, pulling her friend back into her lap. "Ten minutes ago you told me I had nothing to apologize for, because I risked my life coming back in for you two! Now you're blaming me for being the flipping weakest link."