xxvii

Chapter Twenty-Seven: Mina's Defense

The Seoul ballet theatre was well-known for its grandeur, and while Jeongguk knew this he couldn't help but gawk at the glory of it every time he was there. The tall ceiling, with a chandelier of crystals hanging down from it, a waterfall of ice flowing from the sky. The floor made of marble and some kind of black stone, the walls a darkened wood, grand posters of the current shows donning them. Scattered around, were red and navy-blue settees.

      There was a buzz in the air, as people of all ages, dressed in their Sunday-best, for it was a Sunday, chattering, anticipating the show. There were big families, with children, young couples, as well as old.

      He had bought some chocolate from the bar, which had been stripped of its wrapper and put in a soft plastic bag, since the wrappers made too much noise, even though Jeongguk doubted a small wrapper could overpower Sergei Prokofiev's thundering "Dance of the Knights". But one couldn't risk disrupting the performers.

      "Please, Jeongyeon?"

      "No!"

      They were standing in the cloak-room, waiting for Namjoon, who was using the restroom. Jeongyeon was hanging up her coat for the third time, aggressively jamming the coat hanger into the arms, making sure it wouldn't fall off this time.

      "Please," he said again. "I'm not asking for much."

      Jeongyeon turned to him after she finished hanging it up. "Jeongguk I just don't understand what the fuss is. He's your friend."

      "Yeah well ... I don't like him much right now."

      Jeongyeon furrowed her eyebrows. "Why not?"

      "Doesn't matter. Can I please sit with you, Jeongyeon?"

      Jeongyeon bit her lip. "I mean ... it's fine by me, but it's really up to Joon. And I can assure you he will want to sit with me."

      There was no way Namjoon would deny him of switching seats, not after yesterday, what he had walked upon.

      "Well can you ask him? It's just one evening."

      He grabbed her by the shoulders and stared her right in the eye, hoping she would cave by looking at his precious face. She didn't. Instead, she just shrugged him off and wrinkled her nose, as if she could smell something bad. Perhaps he was getting too big for tactics like that.

      "Exactly," she said. "It's just one evening. You can sit next to Taehyung for one evening. Whatever happened between you two?"

      Jeongguk clenched his jaw. "It doesn't matter," he said. "I just don't want to sit next to him."