Pumpkin Hand Pies

Crust- Ingredients

- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) butter, cubed & very cold

- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening

- 1/2 teaspoon salt

- 1 tablespoon sugar

- 3 cups all-purpose flour

- 6 to 8 tablespoons ice water

Crust- Instructions

1. Add your flour, salt & sugar to a large bowl.  Cut the COLD butter into cubes & using a pastry blender or fork work the butter into your flour.  When the butter is in little chunks at the vegetable shortening & continue to work it into the flour with your pastry blender or fork.

2. When the fats are in chunks, add the water in a tablespoon at a time.  You can use your hands for this part, but just start needing the dough in the bowl to help it come together.  Continue to add water until the dough starts to stick together.

3. Make the dough into a ball and transfer onto plastic wrap.  Wrap it nice & tight before putting it in the fridge for 30 minutes or up to overnight.  

4. While the dough is in the fridge you can make your pumpkin filling. See Filling- Instructions.

5. On a lightly floured clean surface roll out your dough to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick.  Then using a round biscuit cutter, cut out circles and place them on a baking sheet with parchment paper. Make sure the biscuit cutter is big enough to fold in half with filling inside.  Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Filling- Ingredients 

- 1 cup of pumpkin puree

- 1/4 cup sugar

- 1 large egg

- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice

Filling- Instructions

1.  Pumpkin spice is a combination of nutmeg, ginger & cinnamon.  Add all the ingredient to a bowl and whisk together. Spoon one tablespoon of filling onto the dough circles. Around the edges, using your finger, lightly put water on the dough.  This will help it stick together better.

2. Fold the circle in half and using a fork make indents around the outer edge.  On the top make three little slits. 

3.  If you want to you can make an egg wash with a small egg and a tablespoon of water, then using a brush lightly coat the hand pies with it. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top. Bake them for 15 minutes.

I was able to make 15 & a little one.  It all depends on the size of your biscuit cutter.  

Level: Easy ( Will take a while to complete)

Happy Baking!